Senior Software Developer - Licensing and Metering Team
- Rotterdam, Netherlands
Mendix is on a mission to enable anyone in any organization - from the marketing coordinator to the software developer to the CEO - to create things that are transformational for their company. We are fundamentally reinventing the way applications are created and we're reinventing the future of software development. Sounds ambitious, right? We agree.
Not to brag, but nearly 4,000 organizations worldwide, including KLM, Medtronic, Merck, and Philips, rely on Mendix to build web and mobile applications. Thousands of our customers use our platform to delight their clients and empower their employees. It's no surprise that we're a recognized Leader by Gartner and Forrester in a red-hot market expected to exceed $21 billion by 2022. Ok, maybe we did want to brag a little. But we're proud of what we've accomplished...and...we're humble enough to admit that we need you to make us even more effective.
Building, shipping, and maintaining complex infrastructure at scale. The Mendix Cloud hosts tens of thousands of mission-critical customer applications, powering anything from insurance quotes, to ensuring that parcel companies can deliver millions parcels on time.
The Mendix Cloud is operated by a unit, comprised of multiple scrum teams, with colleagues based in both our Rotterdam and Pune offices. We're a very international organization.
The Mendix Cloud Licensing and Metering team ensures that customers are provided with the correct entitlements based on their license, and allow the customer to monitor the usage of their applications (how many users, how long for, etc), across their landscape of applications. These solutions will initially run in the Mendix Cloud environment, but will also eventually serve customer's using their own private cloud environments.
As a Senior Software Developer for Licensing/Metering you'll help drive digital innovation if:
- You will lead on the technical direction of a business-critical, rapidly growing part of our platform, in conjunction with the Cloud unit's architect.
- You will liaise with product managers and other stakeholders in the broader business to ensure that the product you build is aligned with the needs of the company.
- You will lead and influence both front-end and backend development, you don't need to be a specialist in both, but it is good if you are able to be somewhat cross-functional. Backend-development will be a much larger proportion of the work (think: 80% backend, 20% frontend). We strongly support using our own product and platform: so we develop in Mendix itself where applicable.
- You will be part of a scrum team, where you'll work in 2 week sprints. The engineers in your team are based in our Pune, India office, while product management and stakeholders are based in Rotterdam. This role involves lots of international communication.
- You will help ensure all systems are always available by also being responsible for running them in production.
We're looking for you if:
- You have excellent coding skills in your backend language of choice (5+ years). It's an advantage if you have Python experience, as this is currently our language of choice in the unit.
- You have proven experience (at least 3 years) building cloud-based solutions. This would ideally be on AWS, but other clouds are fine too. AWS components that we use include: S3, RDS, Route 53, Kinesis, Lambda & SQS. You will be able to choose the right AWS tools to solve the task at hand.
- You have experience building highly-scalable, highly-available, multi-region, and distributed systems and microservice architectures.
- You have good knowledge of Unix/Linux fundamentals.
- You have a DevOps mindset: you build it, you run it.
- You care about code quality, and know how to lead by example: from a clean Git history, to well thought-out unit and integration tests.
- You are willing and able to use your technical expertise to mentor, train, and lead other engineers.
Even better (but not essential!) if you have experience with:
- Some of the following Python frameworks/libraries: Flask, Pyramid, Django, Celery, SQLAlchemy, Boto3, Requests, Asyncio.
- Mendix's low code platform - this is a huge plus, but not a requirement.
- IaC tools such as Terraform, Puppet, or Ansible
- Containerisation technology and orchestration, e.g. Kubernetes/Docker & CloudFoundry.
- CI/CD tooling such as Jenkins.
- Building database driven applications, and understand the impact of inefficient queries on an RBDMS.
- TDD & BDD and know when and when not to use it.
Get a taste of Mendix Blue culture and see the latest updates to our product by registering for our annual flagship event, Mendix World 2020 launching on September 1st. Attend live Q&A sessions with leaders from R&D, watch demos of the product in action, and meet the Makers who use Mendix everyday.
Registration link: www.mendix.com/mendix-world/?&utm_medium=sales&mxworld=mxrec&utm_campaign=GL-CE-2020-09-01-Mendix-World
Our Guiding Principles
While we live on different continents, speak different languages, and work on different things, we are bound by our "MendixBlue" guiding principles. Being "MendixBlue" means that you live the culture, and you consistently improve it as we grow. It's kind of a big deal.
We put the customer first . Without our customers, we have no business. So, if you act in the best interest of our customers, always...you belong here.
We think big . We work to have a meaningful, lasting impact on the world. So, if you aim high and think long term...you belong here.
We innovate . We want to be what happens next. So, if you ask "what if?" and work to find a way or make one...you belong here.
We nurture talent . We look, not just at the sum of what an individual has done, but at the potential of who they can be. So, if you're up for learning from your failures...you belong here.
We hear every voice . Inflated egos don't last here, humility does. So, if you share credit and ensure that the best ideas win - regardless of who they come from...you belong here.
We own it . If something needs doing, we do it. So, if you focus on the outcome, and take initiative to get it done...you belong here.
We have fun . We use laughter as a common language. We can ask for help and we're happy to give it. So, if you find joy and purpose in what you do...you belong here.
Make your career at Mendix.
There are precious few jobs that let you create the future. But you'll find one at Mendix. We are at a pivotal time in our company's existence: where rapid growth meets stable funding. This is the time for industrious people to raise their hands to solve the next generation of problems. Mendix is a place where ambitious people can thrive; where you can identify an issue, propose a solution, and build the structure to make it happen.
Important to know: Mendix is a Siemens business, which means we're backed by the resources and stability of one of the world's largest and most forward-looking enterprises. Think: job security.
Since our company was founded in 2005, our aim has been to create a great work environment for people at all stages in their careers. That's why we are so pleased and honored that we were rated a top Cloud Computing Company to work for in 2019, based on feedback from our employees on Glassdoor. With offices in the Netherlands, the UK, Germany, and the US, (and more coming), we provide an international playground to truly impact the world through low-code.
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Mendix Technology B.V.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Back to top