Senior Design Engineer
- Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reporting to the Lead Design Manager, the Senior Design Engineer will direct the activities of the teams to achieve the safe implementation of signalling projects to the customer's specifications and timescales agreed. Check that the quality of output from the section is to the required standards and that target dates are achieved
What are my responsibilities?
- Direct the preparation of technical details, signalling plans, estimates and working drawings for signalling works within the project team to meet laid down timescales and authorised budget constraints
- Carry out independent checking of Signalling systems as required
- Ensure that the technical and safety standards are maintained in all aspects of design work in order that successful project implementation and future reliability is achieved
- Provide functional support and guidance to the Lead Design Engineer(s) and others within the team on all aspects of Signal Design within allocated projects
- Provide support and input to Project Manager and Project Engineers on allocated projects
- Identify the required budget provision for allocated projects to enable sufficient financial authority to be gained
- Participate in and monitor the planning and progress of works in relation to timeline and budget and ensure that the development, design, construction and testing requirements are met and effect remedial action when required
- Maintain a continuous communication with contractors and customers in the development and implementation of projects to ensure a uniformity of purpose and common targets
- Evaluate the quality and technical accuracy of tenders and make recommendations to obtain the best available commercial award for the Company
- Prepare and deliver briefings to staff on technical, procedural and Handbook publications, including participation in relevant training
- Discharge safety responsibilities in relation to CDM Regulations, Health and Safety legislation, Company procedures including development of the project Safety Plan
- Focus on individual and team development through the completion of annual performance appraisals, career reviews and through the management of poor performance
- Act as Contractors' Responsible Engineer on allocated projects as directed
- Perform duties as directed by Management from time to time in connection with Signalling design activities
- Carry out testing and commissioning of Signalling systems as instructed by more senior Engineers
- Engineering Degree or HND/HNC minimum (essential)
- Member of the IRSE, IET or other recognised Professional body (essential)
- Significant experience in all aspects of the design and implementation of Signalling Systems Engineering with particular emphasis on the preparation and checking of design plans and working details (essential)
- Practical experience of the operational requirements of railway construction works
- Holder of Personal Track Safety card (essential)
- Hold or be working towards IRSE Signalling Principles Designer (A, B, D or E.) and Signalling Design Verifier (essential)
- Good knowledge of Project Safety requirements (essential)
- Good commercial awareness and knowledge of contract conditions (essential)
- Working towards Chartered Engineer Status
- To have passed four modules of the IRSE Professional Examination.
- A1 Assessor qualification
We're Siemens. A collection of over 385,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual's helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We're excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That's why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA , the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
At Siemens we are always challenging ourselves to build a better future. We need the most innovative and diverse Digital Minds to develop tomorrow's reality. Find out more about the Digital world of Siemens here: www.siemens.com/careers/digitalminds
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time
Back to top