Power Systems Dynamics Product Owner
- Schenectady, NY
Siemens is seeking an experienced Power Systems Engineer who understands the current industry and regulatory issues surrounding Dynamics Simulation and Analysis to assume the role of Product Owner in our software development team. This position is with the Software R&D Grid Simulation team (a part of Siemens, Smart Infrastructure, Digital Grid) which practices agile software development. The Product Owner (PO) is an agile role with the responsibility to define stories and prioritize the team backlog. A successful PO focuses on the delivery of customer value, working with Product Management (PM) and the agile development team to streamline the implementation of the product priorities while ensuring the technical strength and direction of the dynamics portfolio.
The successful candidate will have engineering knowledge and expertise in power systems dynamics as well as the ability and passion to apply agile software development practices for dynamics simulation in Siemens Grid Simulation software. Experience in the electric power industry is essential. This person will be expected to form relationships with customers and business owners in addition to the stakeholders on the software team.
This is not a development role or a consulting role but experience in these areas is strongly desired as this will facilitate communication with other stakeholders. For that reason, this position requires knowledge of power systems dynamics modeling techniques and regulatory planning requirements. Expertise in agile software development technologies is a definite plus as this position will be in the Software group and the candidate may also need to assist creating dynamics models for equipment but more importantly to clearly define software requirements and to maximize the productivity of the development team. The ideal candidate will understand the current industry direction, will be an expert in in the field of power systems dynamics, and be able to clearly evaluate, document, prioritize, and communicate requirements. Requirement specification will include all aspects of software production going beyond functionality to also include algorithm design, test specification, and software delivery. Experience developing in C/C++ or Fortran, particularly in the Microsoft Visual Studio environment, is a plus. The ideal candidate for this position has knowledge and skills for both Power Systems Engineering, with specialization in power systems dynamics, and Computer Science. The PO serves as customer proxy to the agile development team, ensuring that customer value is clearly defined, documented, and delivered.
- Provide technical guidance for implementation of product features.
- Work with Product Management and other stakeholders to define and prioritize stories in the team backlog
- Work with the agile development team to breakdown features into stories.
- Work with the Scrum Master and the agile development team to deliver features.
- Engage with customers utilizing technical knowledge and excellent communication skills.
- Ensure that quality is built-in at all stages of the value stream from design, through development, to testing and delivery.
- Ensure the creation of robust tests to assess performance, correctness, and usability of the software.
- Provide estimates and analysis of tasks required for development, and actively participate in development status reviews.
- Develop software according to modern methodologies such as the Scaled Agile Framework, including the use of tools such as Jira and Confluence.
- Stay abreast of new developments in power system analysis, modeling, and optimization.
Required Knowledge/Skills and Experience:
- Detailed knowledge of current power system analysis methodologies and the ability to research, investigate, and apply new and complex modeling and analysis techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of current simulation challenges and the need to simulate dynamic contingencies in the electrical power industry.
- 5+ years experience in Power System Dynamics and Software Development.
- Familiarity with power systems dynamics and how to model equipment.
- Knowledge of power system modeling, power flow solutions, and contingency analysis.
- Knowledge of control engineering.
- Proficiency in the modeling of power system components
- Prior experience with creating simulation models for power system components is a plus
- Working knowledge of PSS®E or other power system analysis tools, particularly on large real-world networks as it applies to transmission planning analysis, is a plus.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in English, both written and verbal.
- Strong organization skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks at one time.
- Team player, customer focused with good interpersonal skills, positive and energetic attitude.
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively.
- Masters in Power Systems Engineering, preferably a Ph.D., or equivalent work or research experience.
- Degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or similar field is a plus.
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here .
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here .
Back to top