PhD Student (m/f/d) Intelligent IoT Applications over Network-aware Edge Computing
- Munich, Germany
Mode of Employment: Limited: 36 months, part-time 17,5 h/ week
Job Grade: ERA 10
Your extra treasure of experience.
How will we travel, communicate, and use energy in the world of tomorrow? Work on the right answers with us. We are looking for bright minds - thinkers with a passion for practical matters. In short, people who can turn their questions and ours into exciting new discoveries. When you join our team as one of our PhD students, you will find many opportunities to get involved. Seize the chance to be part of our global network, make key contacts, and get your career as well as your personal life on the best track. Our teams are curious to meet you.
Change the future with us.
This PhD topic aims to develop novel IoT/Edge infrastructure management methods to enable next-generation IoT applications of intelligently collaborating, autonomous machines. Such applications require advanced IoT environments, e.g., within industrial plants, hospitals, buildings, or even cities, which are comprised of heterogeneous networks and distributed compute resources. The PhD topic will contribute to minimizing the reliance on the cloud by leveraging local compute capacities and is therefore positioned in relation to three major challenges:
1. Under constrained network connectivity, compute resources (of IoT or Edge devices) need to be optimally selected (e.g., using Integer Linear Programming)
2. Heterogenous network technologies (e.g., IWLAN or 5G New Radio) must be efficiently managed (e.g., using Software Defined Networking) to support reliable and low-latency communication between devices or experts and devices
3. Intelligent applications (e.g., based on Machine Learning) must be provided through network- & compute-efficient collaboration of devices (e.g., Federated Learning)
So, your future part will be:
• You contribute to research & innovation in the area of IoT, communication networks, and distributed AI
• You actively drive the discussion on main research questions and their relevance for Siemens
• Furthermore, you are involved in internal and publicly funded research projects
• You secure your work through patent filings
• You publish scientific publications in order to present and discuss your findings in internal and external communities
• Last but not least: You supervise interns and MSc students
We don't need superheroes, just super minds.
• You already have a master's degree (or comparable) in Computer Science (or related disciplines) and you are proud of your excellent academic results
• You have a strong achievement drive and genuine desire to discover new things on your own
• You bring a good understanding of Communication Networks
• You have experiences with Machine Learning
• You have sound knowledge of Edge Computing
• You have experience in multiple programming languages, e.g. Python, Java, or C++
• You have good interpersonal communication, presentation skills and fluency in English and you speak at least some German
We've got quite a lot to offer. How about you?
if you wish to find out more about Siemens before applying.
if you have more questions please contact: www.siemens.de/fragenzurbewerbung
if you would like to find out more about jobs & careers at Siemens.
As an equal-opportunity employer we are happy to consider applications from individuals with disabilities.
Company: Siemens AG
Experience Level: Recent College Graduate
Job Type: Part-time
Back to top