PhD Student (f/m/d) Intelligent IoT Applications over Network-aware Edge Computing
- Munich, Germany
Mode of Employment: Limited: 36 months, part-time 17,5 h/ week
Your extra treasure of experience.
How will we travel, communicate, and use energy in the world of tomorrow? Work on the right answers with us. We are looking for bright minds - thinkers with a passion for practical matters. In short, people who can turn their questions and ours into exciting new discoveries. When you join our team as one of our PhD students, you will find many opportunities to get involved. Seize the chance to be part of our global network, make key contacts, and get your career as well as your personal life on the best track. Our teams are curious to meet you.
Change the future with us.
Become a part of the Technology division in the field of Internet of Things (IoT) in Munich. We are passionate about innovations that mean real progress. We are excited about technologies that still need to be developed.
This PhD topic aims to develop novel IoT/Edge infrastructure management methods to enable next-generation IoT applications of intelligently collaborating, autonomous machines (e.g., AGVs, industrial robots or drones). Such applications require advanced IoT environments, e.g., within industrial plants, hospitals, buildings, or even cities, which are comprised of heterogeneous networks and distributed compute resources. The PhD topic will contribute to minimizing the reliance on the cloud by leveraging local compute capacities and is therefore positioned in relation to three major challenges:
Under constrained network connectivity, compute resources (of IoT or Edge devices) need to be optimally selected (e.g., using Integer Linear Programming)
Heterogenous network technologies (e.g., IWLAN or 5G New Radio) must be efficiently managed (e.g., using Software Defined Networking) to support reliable and low-latency communication between devices
Intelligent applications (e.g., based on Machine Learning) must be provided through network- & compute-efficient collaboration of devices (e.g., Federated Learning)
What part will you play?
• You contribute to research & innovation in the area of IoT, communication networks, and distributed AI
• You actively drive the discussion on main research questions and their relevance for Siemens
• You are involved in internal and publicly funded research projects
• You secure your work through patent filings
• You publish scientific publications in order to present and discuss your findings in internal and external communities
• You supervise interns and MSc students
Use your skills to move the world forward.
• You already have a master's degree (or comparable) in Computer Science and you are proud of your excellent academic results
• You have a strong achievement drive and genuine desire to discover new things on your own
• You have a good understanding of Distributed Systems (e.g., IoT or Edge Computing)
• You have a good understanding of Communication Networks
• You have a good understanding of Machine Learning tools and technologies
• You have good programming skills in object-oriented languages, e.g. Java, or C++
• You have good programming skills in Python or other scripting languages
• You are eager to work and write scientifically
• You have good interpersonal communication and presentation skills in English and you speak (or are willing to learn) German
Please include an expressive cover letter, explaning your motivation to do this PhD as well as deep knowledge and relevant expereience in field of research described above.
Wanted: designers of the future.
if you wish to find out more about Siemens before applying.
if you have more questions please contact: www.siemens.de/fragenzurbewerbung
if you would like to find out more about jobs & careers at Siemens.
Company: Siemens AG
Experience Level: Early Professional
Job Type: Part-time
Back to top