Engineering Manager - Software
- Coalville, United Kingdom
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a Software Engineering Manager to lead our Software Delivery Team within the Siemens Rail Infrastructure CIS business located in Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leicestershire.
Our Team and what we do:
As market leaders across rail, road and logistics, Siemens Mobility Limited are pursuing the goal of networking various transportation systems with one another to move people and goods efficiently - complete mobility!
Rail Infrastructure offers a wide range of systems for signalling, monitoring and control, communications and electrification for main line, regional, metro and light rail infrastructure applications. By bringing together the combined expertise of UK and Germany, we offer complete infrastructure solutions tailored for our market. Siemens' dedicated rail infrastructure team is fully committed to delivering an efficient, reliable, safe and green railway.
The Rail Infrastructure business supplies SCADA control systems as well as operational telecoms and secure network equipment, alongside other engineering solutions to rail industry operators and suppliers worldwide. We have earned a respected reputation within the industry which has developed as a result of our success in delivering great outcomes to our customers. In addition, we are leading the way within the railway industry in developing the next generation of rail technology such as Rail Electrification Control, Advanced Station Management Systems, Automation and Analytics, ETCS and Low Cost Digital Modular Signalling, so this is a phenomenal time to join the business in the development of new, exciting technologies!
Your role, and what you'll be doing:
Reporting to the Head of SCADA Engineering, the Engineering Manager (Software) is a true leadership and line management role which will be responsible for all aspects of software engineering across the RI CIS business. The software community delivers market-leading products and solutions, providing a cost efficient and timely realisation of complex software system with appropriate quality and to budget, even in the face of challenging and evolving business cases, requirements, delivery mechanisms and other business drivers. The role heads-up a team of 35 front-end, back-end and full stack developers, project manager, testers, architect, team leaders, graduates and apprentices.
You will gain an overall understanding of the business and ensure that culture, behaviours and design decisions made align with the overall business goals. The delivery lifecycle operates from the early stages of bids and tenders, to customer requirements elicitation and capture, estimation, through architecture definition, design, development, validation, testing, approvals and deployment, to ongoing in-service support. The Siemens delivery processes support all Software Development Life Cycle models, including Kanban, XP, Scrum, RUP and V / Waterfall, the model selected being determined by the scale, scope, safety-integrity and appropriateness for the project. Project deliverables include fixed scope, cost and timescale packages for specific customer projects as well as conventional Backlog-led product developments, demonstrators and Proof-of-Concepts.
Based in North-West Leicestershire, this position provides software engineering team leadership to ensure projects are delivered to the required quality and safety standards, company procedures, project timescales and agreed costs. Governance is of paramount importance, so ensuring software deliverables are compliant with international and market standards, company guidelines, procedures and that solutions and tools are deployed consistently across the project portfolio is required.
What are my Responsibilities?
- Own all software development, delivery and support activities for customer and R&D projects compliant up to IEC61508/EN50128 SIL2 certification, throughout the product or solution lifecycle ensuring and assuring Safety and Quality standards
- Provision of material and labour costs, time scales and risk profiles to support tendering activities as required
- Successful delivery of all software packages against pre-agreed budgets and timelines
- Preparation, justification, negotiation, reporting and management of allocated Cost Centre budgets
- Ensuring alignment of software solutions across all project deliverables, maximising the provision of reusable components
- Definition, selection and justification of appropriate development, build and deployment tooling and environments with a view for formalisation of DevOps within the business
- Participation in the wider CIS Engineering Management community, aligning software functions across Mobility UK and Headquarter
- Communicate the business vision to direct reporting staff and translating the vision into business strategic goals resulting in meaningful engineering-focused objectives for cascade through direct/indirect reports
- Plan, co-ordinate and manage physical resources, people and facilities to include recruitment, competence management, development, training and performance
- Develop and implement strategies to improve business efficiency within the engineering domain, including departmental and functional strategies, process improvement, outsourcing, resourcing, technology, tooling and utilisation
- Definition and development of measures and metrics to provide leading and lagging indicators of departmental performance
- Monitor relevant technological developments and identify how such technologies may be utilised within our engineering domain and areas of expertise
- Maintain and develop excellent relationships with internal and external customers, industry associations, suppliers and Siemens business partners
- Perform duties as directed by senior management from time to time
What experience do I need to apply for this role?
- An engineering background with previous management experience employing modern and classical software development lifecycles within a regulated industry (which includes Agile methodologies delivering fixed scope, timescale and cost solutions)
- Experience and knowledge of software engineering processes at all stages of the engineering lifecycle, including estimating, requirements management, configuration management, risk management, change management and continuous improvement processes
- Detailed knowledge of control or automation systems and strategies, ideally with an appreciation of subsystem interfacing using common Serial and Ethernet protocols, particularly DNP3, IEC61850 (Ed 1 & 2) Client and Server, Microcontroller and digital electronic interfacing design principles
- Proven experience of successful acceptance into service of components up to IEC61508 and/or EN50128 SIL 2, within a regulated and safety-focused industry
- Experience of challenges typically encountered within embedded software delivery, with a specific appreciation of Wind River VxWorks an advantage
- A relevant Degree and Chartered Engineer, Fellow or equivalent status with an industry-recognised organisation
- Proven success leading and motivating a team of professional engineers, sub-contractors, out-source or offshore agencies and suppliers to effectively design, build and test complex systems
- Proven and successful experience of staff development, mentoring, coaching, performance management, resolving personnel issues as soon as they arise
- Strong business and financial understanding and appreciation of contractual, commercial and IPR issues associated with an engineering business
- A natural leader of behavioural safety with demonstrable evidence of successes
- Excellent IT, interpersonal, presentation, communication, organisational, time management and problem-solving skills
- Full UK Driving licence
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- On-Target annual bonus of 12½%, escalating to a maximum of 25%
- Eligible for Company Car benefit
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We're Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We're excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That's why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA , the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time
Back to top