Application Support Engineer - Simcenter STAR-CCM+ - Northville, MI (SISW-PLM) 216774
- Northville, MI
During the current global health crisis, the priority for Siemens Digital Industries Software is the health and wellbeing of our entire community including current and future employees, which may add time to our hiring processes. We appreciate your patience and invite you to visit our website to learn more about how Siemens is responding to the pandemic.
This position is an opportunity to work at the forefront of our company's innovative usage of digital simulation within industrial and research environments.
Simcenter STAR-CCM+ is the industry leading Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software that allows you to simulate almost any engineering problem that involves fluids, structures and all of the associated physics. Simcenter STAR-CCM+ is a complete multiphysics solution for the simulation of products and designs operating under real-world conditions. Uniquely, Simcenter STAR-CCM+ brings automated design exploration and optimization to the simulation toolkit of every engineer, allowing you to efficiently explore the entire design space instead of focusing on single point design scenarios.
Simcenter STAR-CCM+ can be coupled to various other Simcenter products or used in combined workflows, for example with Simcenter 3D for structural and (vibro-)acoustics simulations, or Amesim for 1D systems simulations.
The Application Support Engineer is responsible for ensuring the technical success of our customers in their use of Simcenter software. The main focus of this role will be on supporting STAR-CCM+, with a smaller amount of time spent on Simcenter 3D or Amesim. Working closely with customers to understand their engineering and IT workflows, the Application Support Engineer proposes solutions and best practices to help the client meet their objectives as well as improve their processes. The role includes classroom training, mentoring, and providing direct customer support. The position works closely with the sales organization to discover opportunities to grow software usage within accounts and engage the customer to realize that growth.
Excellent communication skills and a desire to work with clients are critical to success in this fast-paced and broad engineering role. If you are creative, entrepreneurial, and possess excellent communication skills, we would like to hear from you.
The role will be based in our Northville, MI office out of which we support mostly local Automotive accounts as well as many other industries such as Aerospace, Defence, Energy, Marine and IT/cloud computing service providers in the entire Americas. Our clients are working on a wide range of applications including conjugate heat transfer (CHT), fluid structure interaction (FSI), combustion, multiphase flows, battery thermal management and electromagnetics. We are also providing IT support to direct customers and cloud computing service providers covering a wide range of topics including installation, licensing, remote display and high-performance computing (HPC) cluster configurations.
This successful candidate is expected to have a strong background in CFD, and should have first experience with structural or systems simulations, or be interested in gaining more knowledge in this area.
- Act as the primary point of contact to assigned set of accounts for all technical issues related to their use of STAR-CCM+. Identify engineering and IT problems and take responsibility for their successful resolution.
- Facilitate the sales process in developing account intelligence, pursuing opportunities for growth of software usage, and assisting in software deployment.
- Conduct training on introductory and advanced topics in STAR-CCM+ and Simcenter 3D or Amesim.
- Conduct technical discussions with customers to collect and understand simulation and IT requirements, propose solutions, and explain benefits of our approach.
- Perform CFD and/or hardware focused benchmark simulations and test cases to explore new methods, define best practices, and verify results.
- Create Knowledge Base Articles for the customer portal.
- Work on multiple projects and support engagements simultaneously.
- Collaborate with product management and industry teams to provide input on future product direction. Communicate and demonstrate new software capabilities to customers.
- Using proficiently all aspects of CFD technology: software installation, licensing, HPC cluster configuration, CAD handling, meshing, solving, complex physics modelling, post-processing, coupling to other codes.
- Following and using new modelling techniques and features introduced in STAR-CCM+ releases. Finding new application areas and creating new simulation examples.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Aerospace, Mechanical, or related field with focus on computational methods and fluid dynamics.
- Successful application of CFD methods to meet real world goals in research or design.
- Basic understanding of IT hardware and software systems. Knowledge of standard command-line tools in Linux and Windows for IT administration tasks.
- Experience with programming in a modern programming language.
- Ability to learn new skills and adapt to customer application needs.
- Interest in learning new Simcenter products (not CFD).
- Excellent communication, organization, time management, and presentation skills.
- Ability to travel up to 20% (overnight travel).
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Advanced degree (M.S., Ph.D.) in Computational Fluid Dynamics, computational engineering or any combination of engineering and computer science (including double degrees).
- Proficiency with CFD simulation applications such as internal/external flows, transonic/supersonic flows, conjugate heat transfer, transient analysis, or multiphase applications
- Familiarity with meshing complex geometries, turbulence modeling, and simulation post-processing.
- Experience with STAR-CCM+ or other commercial CFD tools.
- Working knowledge of common design processes, objectives, and constraints for industrial applications.
- Experience with Java programming
- Experience with CAD packages (e.g. Siemens NX, CATIA, SolidWorks)
- Knowledge of other products in the Simcenter portfolio, especially Simcenter 3D or Amesim.
- Experience with FEA, optimisation codes, 1D or 3D simulation tools that can be coupled with CFD solutions
- Experience in parallel programming using MPI, OpenMP or CUDA.
- Experience in various scripting languages including bash scripts.
- Experience with HPC system administration. Basic knowledge of interconnect hardware, parallel file systems. Experience with cluster benchmarking.
- Working knowledge of Spanish or French.
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Industry Software Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here .
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here .
Back to top