Software Development Manager, Search Discovery
As Shutterstock continues to grow its collection and drive innovation around the search and discovery process, the Software Development Manager (SDM) for the Search Discovery team will be working with engineers, data scientists and researchers to deliver innovative discovery experiences to Shutterstock’s customers. The SDM will be responsible for working with the team to leverage recent advances in deep learning and computer vision to wow our customers. The SDM will handle all aspects of the delivery including planning, cross-team coordination, providing technical guidance, tracking, requirements clarifications, and challenging assumptions when appropriate.
- Develop a team-oriented, supportive culture with a strong focus on creating a working environment that fosters innovation and open communication
- Think big, helping to unleash and channel the team’s collective creativity
- Be responsible for the timely delivery of important search initiatives
- Help the team members continue to increase the breadth and depth of their technical skills
- Constantly improve team productivity, refine agile processes, and create methods to increase efficiency
- Lead the team in all aspects of agile development (planning, scrum, backlog, retro)
- Ensure the team follows software engineering best practices
- Perform personnel management tasks for all developers, including performance reviews, promotions, compliance with company policies, mentoring, and helping plan career growth
- Attend all developer meetings and take responsibility for resolving problems
- Encourage active participation in all phases of the project lifecycle, and work with project management to remove impediments and provide visibility to stakeholders.
- Proven track record of meeting aggressive schedules; clearly defining deliverables and timetables, with demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities in complex environments and manage teams to successful project completion
- Previous experience taking innovative prototypes all the way through to production
- Demonstrated ability as an effective mentor and coach who understands how to successfully integrate into a team of talented developers and data scientists
- Full-Stack software development experience architecting and building robust distributed systems that scale well
- Experience with and enthusiasm for agile principles and values
- Strong analytic, communication and interpersonal skills
- Enthusiastic attitude and a desire to lead a dynamic and driven team
- MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or related field
- Previous experience in Search / Information Retrieval
- Data Science/ Machine Learning (ML) background
Shutterstock, Inc. (NYSE: SSTK), is a leading global provider of high-quality licensed photographs, vectors, illustrations, videos and music to businesses, marketing agencies and media organizations around the world. Working with its growing community of over 100,000 contributors, Shutterstock adds hundreds of thousands of images each week, and currently has more than 80 million images and nearly 4 million video clips available.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices in Amsterdam, Berlin, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, London, Los Angeles, Montreal, Paris, San Francisco, and Silicon Valley, Shutterstock has customers in more than 150 countries. The company also owns Bigstock, a value-oriented stock media agency; Offset, a high-end image collection; PremiumBeat a curated royalty-free music library; Rex Features, a premier source of editorial images for the world's media; and WebDAM, a cloud-based digital asset management service for businesses.
Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V
Back to top