Software Development Manager - Motion
Shutterstock is looking for top technologists to join our Montreal team and help drive the future of our platform. You will be working with highly motivated and extremely talented engineers on backend and frontend services with quality, performance and scale in mind at every step of the way. Our core belief is that the customers are our number one priority so we work hard to deliver value back to them with everything we do. We believe strongly in team ownership of systems, which includes defining the vision of the services to prioritization of projects. The manager will play a major role in the development of key applications and will report to the Director of Technology of the Music & Video Business Unit.
- Develop a team-oriented, supportive culture with a strong focus on creating a working environment that fosters creativity and open communication, as well as one that demands discipline and results
- Act as the lead architect for your engineering team, as well as participating in software development activities
- Build a first-class Engineering team that will scale as the company grows, identifying and filling any organizational gaps
- Be responsible for the output of a software engineering team within the Music & Video business unit
- Work with and train other developers to lead and manage their own teams
- Constantly improve team productivity, refine agile processes, and create methods to increase efficiency
- Perform personnel management tasks for all developers, including hiring, performance reviews, promotions, compliance with company policies, mentoring, and helping plan career growth
- Train new developers on our standards, culture, and policies
- Attend all developer meetings and take responsibility for resolving problems
- Encourage active participation in all phases of the project lifecycle, and work with project management to remove impediments and provide visibility to stakeholders
- Proven track record of meeting aggressive schedules; clearly defining deliverables and timetables, with demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities in complex environments and manage teams to successful project completion
- Demonstrated ability as an effective mentor and coach who understands how to successfully integrate into a team of talented developers
- Full-Stack software development experience building and designing websites using any of the following dynamic programming languages (Node.js, PHP, Ruby, Python, Perl) at scale, powering multiple consumers.
- Strong Software development fundamentals, data structures, design patterns, Object-Oriented programming, architecture, algorithms and problem solving skills.
- Very strong knowledge of how the Web works and how to make it efficient (HTTP, caching, page rendering, etc)
- Deep understanding and experience working on distributed/high trafficked systems, and preferably real-time systems and workflows with an emphasis on end-to-end speed
- Experience with and enthusiasm for agile principles and values
- Strong analytic, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, handling multiple tasks and balancing multiple objectives, while consistently ensuring that the highest priority objectives are met
- Strong understanding of the editorial image/footage market; experience working for or closely with publishing clients highly desired
Meet Some of Shutterstock's Employees
Director of Editorial Sales, North America
In her role, Candice works closely with the Sales, Content, Product, and Marketing Teams to sell Shutterstock’s editorial content to customers across North America.
Back to top