Software Development Manager - Media
Shutterstock is looking for top technologists to join our Montreal team and help drive the future of our platform. You will be working with highly motivated and extremely talented engineers on backend services with quality, performance and scale in mind at every step of the way. Our core belief is that the customers are our number one priority so we work hard to deliver value back to them with everything we do. We believe strongly in team ownership of systems, which includes defining the vision of the services to prioritization of projects. The Software Development Manager will help lead a team of Shutterstock’s Engineers in an agile environment. This position will be responsible for building and managing the Media team to support Shutterstock products.
- Develop a team-oriented, supportive culture with a strong focus on creating a working environment that fosters creativity and open communication, as well as one that demands discipline and results
- Build a first-class Engineering team that will scale as the company and business grows, identifying and filling any organizational gaps
- Be responsible for the output of the Media Engineering team
- Work with, train and mentor developers to lead and manage their own teams
- Constantly improve team productivity, refine agile processes, and create methods to increase efficiency
- Investigate, analyze, and evangelize (if necessary) programming methodologies such as test-driven development, pair programming, etc.
- Perform personnel management tasks for all developers, including hiring, firing, performance reviews, promotions, compliance with company policies, mentoring, and helping plan career growth
- Train new developers on our standards, culture, and policies
- Attend all developer meetings and take responsibility for resolving problems
- Work with the Chief Architect to help refine and improve the codebase
- Encourage active participation in all phases of the project lifecycle, and work with project management to remove impediments and provide visibility to stakeholders
- Proven track record of meeting aggressive schedules; clearly defining deliverables and timetables, with demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities in complex environments and manage teams to successful project completion
- Demonstrated ability as an effective mentor and coach who understands how to successfully integrate into a team of talented developers
- Experience building event-driven or message-driven architecture using tools like RabbitMQ and Kafka
- Experience setting up and using distributed database like Cassandra
- Significant experience programming in at least one OO language
- Backend software development experience building and designing websites using any modern development languages at scale, powering multiple consumers.
- Strong Software development fundamentals, data structures, design patterns, Object-Oriented programming, architecture, algorithms and problem solving skills.
- Very strong knowledge of how the Web works and how to make it efficient (HTTP, caching, page rendering, etc)
- Deep understanding and experience working on distributed/high trafficked systems, and preferably real-time systems and workflows with an emphasis on end-to-end speed
- Experience with and enthusiasm for agile principles and values
- Strong analytic, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, handling multiple tasks and balancing multiple objectives, while consistently ensuring that the highest priority objectives are met
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or related field
- Experience in cloud technologies and cloud native solutions.
Shutterstock, a global technology company, has created the largest and most vibrant two-sided marketplace for creative professionals to license content - including images, videos, and music - as well as innovative tools that power the creative process.
The company has expanded its portfolio to include Bigstock, a value-oriented stock media agency; PremiumBeat, a curated royalty-free music library; Rex Features, a premier source of editorial images for the world's media; and Webdam, a cloud-based digital asset management platform for businesses, as well as Offset, a high-end image collection.
Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V
Meet Some of Shutterstock's Employees
Director of Editorial Sales, North America
In her role, Candice works closely with the Sales, Content, Product, and Marketing Teams to sell Shutterstock’s editorial content to customers across North America.
Back to top