Software Development Manager
Shutterstock is a technology company that enables marketers, designers, businesses and creative professionals to find and license royalty free images, video and music for use on websites, ad campaigns, marketing materials and movies. Over 80 million stock photos, vectors, illustration, videos, and music tracks. More than 100,000 photographers, artists, videographers and musicians upload and license their work via Shutterstock. We are the volume leader, selling 5 images per second. The Software Development Manager will help lead a team of Shutterstock’s Engineers in an agile environment. This position will be responsible for building and managing a team to support Shutterstock products.
- Develop a team-oriented, supportive culture with a strong focus on creating a working environment that fosters creativity and open communication, as well as one that demands discipline and results.
- Build a first-class Engineering team that will scale as the company and business grows, identifying and filling any organizational gaps.
- Work with and train other developers to lead and manage their own teams.
- Constantly improve team productivity, refine agile processes, and create methods to increase efficiency.
- Investigate, analyze, and evangelize (if necessary) programming methodologies such as test-driven development, pair programming, etc.
- Perform personnel management tasks for all developers, including hiring, firing, performance reviews, promotions, compliance with company policies, mentoring, and helping plan career growth.
- Train new developers on our standards, culture, and policies.
- Attend all developer meetings and take responsibility for resolving problems.
- Work with the Chief Architect to help refine and improve the codebase.
- Encourage active participation in all phases of the project lifecycle, and work with project management to remove impediments and provide visibility to stakeholders.
- Proven track record of meeting aggressive schedules; clearly defining deliverables and timetables, with demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities in complex environments and manage teams to successful project completion.
- Demonstrated ability as an effective mentor and coach who understands how to successfully integrate into a team of talented developers.
- Full-Stack software development experience building and designing websites using any of the following dynamic programming languages (Node.js, PHP, Ruby, Python, Perl) at scale, powering multiple consumers.
- Strong Software development fundamentals, data structures, design patterns, Object-Oriented programming, architecture, algorithms and problem solving skills.
- Very strong knowledge of how the Web works and how to make it efficient (HTTP, caching, page rendering, etc)
- Deep understanding and experience working on distributed/high trafficked systems, and preferably real-time systems and workflows with an emphasis on end-to-end speed.
- Experience with and enthusiasm for agile principles and values.
- Strong analytic, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure, handling multiple tasks and balancing multiple objectives, while consistently ensuring that the highest priority objectives are met.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or related field.
Shutterstock, Inc. (NYSE: SSTK), is a leading global provider of high-quality licensed photographs, vectors, illustrations, videos and music to businesses, marketing agencies and media organizations around the world. Working with its growing community of over 100,000 contributors, Shutterstock adds hundreds of thousands of images each week, and currently has more than 80 million images and nearly 4 million video clips available.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices in Amsterdam, Berlin, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, London, Los Angeles, Montreal, Paris, San Francisco, and Silicon Valley, Shutterstock has customers in more than 150 countries. The company also owns Bigstock, a value-oriented stock media agency; Offset, a high-end image collection; PremiumBeat a curated royalty-free music library; Rex Features, a premier source of editorial images for the world's media; and WebDAM, a cloud-based digital asset management service for businesses.
Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V
Back to top