Software Development Manager
Shutterstock is a leading global provider of high-quality licensed photographs, vectors, illustrations, videos and music to businesses, marketing agencies and media organizations around the world. As a subsidiary, Shutterstock Custom is a fast growing new division that’s transforming the way brands create custom visual content.
We are on a mission to help brands easily create content that’s authentic, cost effective, and scalable. Using our solution brands can connect with creative talent all over the world to create content that drives engagement and helps tell their brand stories. Along with our Custom offering, we also provide a portfolio of different offerings like Offset, Premium Beat, Rex Features.
Developing such an innovative product means that we are growing very quickly and constantly looking for people to join our team and make an impact on our business. If you are looking for an opportunity to expand your skills and build an exciting career at a growing business, the Shutterstock Toronto team wants to hear from you!
About the Role: Software Development Manager
Based in Toronto, the Software Development Manager is someone who can lead one or more engineering teams developing a culture of engineering excellence that is capable of delivering technology on time and on quality. The Software Development Manager is an engineer at heart, will spend around 25% of their time building software and is never afraid of rolling up their sleeve and doing everything needed to help their teams succeed.
What we’d like you to do:
- Accountable for one or more engineering teams and ensures they are meeting their goals and for refining team processes including agile methodologies, sprint planning, estimation and task breakdowns to ensure their teams are continuously improving their work processes.
- Accountable for identifying high-risk technical challenges that need to be researched before they get implemented by the wider team. Involves prototyping new technologies and architecture and sharing of learnings across engineering teams.
- Accountable for identifying short and long term gaps on the team and help fill them through coaching of other members and hiring.
- Responsible for working closely with senior engineers across teams to ensure the platform is evolving in the right way to meet short and long term goals
- Coach other engineers on leadership and team management
- Attend all engineering meetings, stand-ups and retrospectives and be proactive at resolving challenges.
What an incredible candidate looks like:
- Proven track record working in an agile environment as an individual contributor and a team lead / development manager with sharp focus on shipping frequently while managing competing priorities and timelines.
- Demonstrated passion for agile principles, values and continuous improvement of engineering processes
- Deep understanding of software development fundamentals, data structures, design patterns, system architecture, and how web technologies work
- 7+ years of experience as a software engineer with progressive responsibilities
- 5+ years of progressive experience leading 3-10 engineers of varying experience levels
- Familiarity with AWS technologies, security, and infrastructure is an asset
- Familiarity with Docker and other container platform technologies is a bonus
What you’ll get from us
Fast growth for Shutterstock means fast growth for you. While we’re growing together, we’ll have your back with first-rate Apple gear, generous vacation plan, health benefits, solid compensation/bonuses and a company culture that values empowerment, passion, integrity, courage and transparency.
Shutterstock encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Shutterstock has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.
Shutterstock, Inc. (NYSE: SSTK), directly and through its group subsidiaries, is a leading global provider of high-quality licensed photographs, vectors, illustrations, videos and music to businesses, marketing agencies and media organizations around the world. Working with its growing community of contributors, Shutterstock adds hundreds of thousands of images each week and has millions of images and video clips available.
Headquartered in New York City, Shutterstock has offices around the world and customers in more than 150 countries. The company also owns Bigstock, a value-oriented stock media agency; Shutterstock Custom, a custom content creation platform, Offset, a high-end image collection; PremiumBeat a curated royalty-free music library; Rex Features, a premier source of editorial images for the world's media.
Meet Some of Shutterstock's Employees
Product Support Specialist
Tobi is in charge of managing Shutterstock’s support channels, which means assisting customers and contributors with requests and implementing permanent solutions for any issues.
Back to top