MySQL Database Administrator
This role will focus on the design, build, and run aspects of MySQL Database Administration, in a geographically distributed environment (production and non-production). The DBA team is responsible for all areas of Database Engineering & Operations, current and future database environments, and improving performance and stability while decreasing our MTTR.
We are in need of a proactive, driven, forward looking DBA to perform all daily operations support and data engineering duties across all of our legacy and cloud environments.
- Define and establish standards and best practices to support high-performance computing environments
- Champion all Database environment builds, including design, capacity planning, cluster setup, upgrades, performance tuning and ongoing monitoring.
- Design and support data migrations
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve data and performance issues, to ensure that database systems meet business and performance requirements, which may include after-hours/weekends
- Develop and deploy alerting, monitoring, and reporting tools and dashboards to help support business requirements
- Define and implement backup and recovery strategies
- Work with developers and engineers on all database related changes via code reviews, tuning, testing, and validation
- Prioritize and escalate issues as needed to peers and management
- Performance tuning of databases to support high read/write throughput while minimizing latency
- Assist with data analysis by writing ad hoc queries
- Analyse database access patterns to isolate hotspots, data model problems, and other bottlenecks
- Plan, test, and execute standard cluster maintenance activities & Database version upgrades
- Perform proactive capacity planning and forecasting based on database usage patterns and new business initiatives
- A strong desire to learn new things and continually improve yourself and your team with a can-do-anything mentality
- Strong knowledge of system security and overall IT security methodologies
- Experience and knowledge of change management principles, methodologies and tools
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Computer Science preferred) or equivalent work experience
- Experience supporting mission critical/high uptime systems is desired
- Minimum of 8 years experience with traditional RDBMS, mySQL Server preferred
- 5+ years of MySQL DBA experience in managing critical 24/7 applications
- Familiarity with other SQL/NoSQL databases such as, MariaDB, MongoDB, Cassandra, etc.
- Hands-on experience with MySQL databases hosted on AWS or other public cloud vendors
- Expert understanding of complex inner workings of MySQL
- Strong understanding of the MySQL data model and architecture including installation, configuration of a cluster, and best practices
- Knowledge of operating relationships between database, business applications, and the operating systems
- Experience with automation and its tools like Git, Puppet, and Kubernetes
- Experience with replication configuration in MySQL
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, and familiarity with multi-region deployments
- Familitary with AWS Aurora, RDS or DynamoDB is a bonus
- A deep understanding of MySQL design principles, cluster connectivity, security and the factors that affect distributed system performance
- Experience operating multi-system, web-based applications in microservice architectures.
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving issues related to database integrity, performance, replication, logging, connectivity, security, etc
- Familiarity within Linux Environments, able to write/maintain scripts
- Familiarity with Infrastructure as Code software, such as Terraform, and CI/CD process
- Prior experience working with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Ability to manage day-to-day tasks independently
- Work with immediate manager to prioritize work and understand deadlines
- Ability to perform multiple tasks concurrently
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to make timely and sound decisions
- Detail oriented
- Ability to work independently and in a team based environment
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work under pressure and in high stress situations
- Vendor certifications desired
Shutterstock, Inc. (NYSE: SSTK), is a leading global provider of high-quality licensed photographs, vectors, illustrations, videos and music to businesses, marketing agencies and media organizations around the world. Working with its growing community of over 140,000 contributors, Shutterstock adds hundreds of thousands of images each week, and currently has more than 100 million images and more than 5 million video clips available.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices in Amsterdam, Berlin, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, London, Los Angeles, Montreal, Paris, San Francisco and Silicon Valley, Shutterstock has customers in more than 150 countries. The company also owns Bigstock, a value-oriented stock media agency; Offset, a high-end image collection; PremiumBeat a curated royalty-free music library; Rex Features, a premier source of editorial images for the world's media; and WebDAM, a cloud-based digital asset management service for businesses.
Back to top