Director of Engineering
As a Director of Software Engineering, you will be responsible for managing Shutterstock’s vast library of media, as well as all the systems related to managing the lifecycle of content as it flows through the Shutterstock ecosystem. This includes all systems related to initial ingestion, content review, editing, and publishing. The actual media files are managed by infrastructure, but everything outside of the media bits falls within your domain. You will be responsible for providing the strategic direction to engineering teams, as well as maintaining a tight SLA on your systems. Your goals are to continually simplify theengineering ecosystem, and help move the applicable parts to AWS. You thrive in an Agile environment.
- Develop a team-oriented, supportive culture with a strong focus on creating a working environment that fosters creativity and open communication, as well as one that demands discipline and results.
- Build a first-class Engineering team that will scale as the company and business grows, identifying and filling any organizational gaps.
- Work with, train and mentor engineering managers and senior engineers to lead and manage their own teams.
- Constantly improve team productivity, refine agile processes, and create methods to increase efficiency.
- Investigate, analyze, and evangelize (if necessary) programming methodologies such as test-driven development, pair programming, etc.
- Perform personnel management tasks for all developers, including hiring, firing, performance reviews, promotions, compliance with company policies, mentoring, and helping plan career growth.
- Train new engineering managers and senior engineers on our standards, culture, and policies.
- Continually strengthen and simplify the engineering ecosystem.
- Report to the VP of Engineering, and communicate project status and risks when necessary.
- Encourage active participation in all phases of the project lifecycle, and work with project management to remove impediments and provide visibility to stakeholders.
- Proven track record of meeting aggressive schedules; clearly defining deliverables and timetables, with demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities in complex environments and manage teams to successful project completion.
- Demonstrated ability as an effective mentor and coach who understands how to successfully integrate into a team of talented developers.
- 3+ years leading multiple teams (each team having 4-5 engineers).
- Experience building event-driven or message-driven architecture using tools like RabbitMQ and Kafka.
- 5+ years experience programming in at least one OO language.
- 5+ years experience in backend software development building and designing websites using any modern development languages at scale, powering multiple consumers.
- Strong Software development fundamentals, data structures, design patterns, Object-Oriented programming, architecture, algorithms and problem solving skills.
- Strong knowledge of Databases.
- Deep understanding and experience working on distributed/high trafficked systems, and preferably real-time systems and workflows with an emphasis on end-to-end speed.
- Experience with and enthusiasm for agile principles and values.
- Excellent analytic, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure, handling multiple tasks and balancing multiple objectives, while consistently ensuring that the highest priority objectives are met.
- Experience with NoSQL, specifically Cassandra, is a plus.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or related field
Shutterstock, Inc. (NYSE: SSTK), is a leading global provider of high-quality licensed photographs, vectors, illustrations, videos and music to businesses, marketing agencies and media organizations around the world. Working with its growing community of over 100,000 contributors, Shutterstock adds hundreds of thousands of images each week, and currently has more than 80 million images and nearly 4 million video clips available.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices in Amsterdam, Berlin, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, London, Los Angeles, Montreal, Paris, San Francisco, and Silicon Valley, Shutterstock has customers in more than 150 countries. The company also owns Bigstock, a value-oriented stock media agency; Offset, a high-end image collection; PremiumBeat a curated royalty-free music library; Rex Features, a premier source of editorial images for the world's media; and WebDAM, a cloud-based digital asset management service for businesses.
Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V
Meet Some of Shutterstock's Employees
VP, Content Operations
Paul is responsible for scaling Shutterstock's content strategy and distribution processes—helping contributors better monetize their creative brands and maximizing company revenue.
Back to top