Backend Software Engineer, Search Team
Shutterstock is looking for an experienced backend software engineer to join our search team! The search team’s mission is to push the boundaries of multimedia search, enabling customers to find content faster and easier. You will be working on developing new discovery paths and improving our core search technology. Along the way you will be collaborating with an extremely talented and passionate team of researchers, data scientists and engineers and will help ensure the successful launch of innovative new customer-facing features.
- As a Backend Software Engineer, you will be responsible for helping build innovative search discovery paths.
- You are excited about taking on ownership of important projects as well as working closely with the rest of the team to ensure successful completion of work.
- You enjoy designing and coding distributed and scalable services to continually improve the search discovery experience for millions of customers daily.
- You will work with engineers, data scientists and researchers to drive ideas from the rapid prototyping phase all the way through to serving live traffic at scale.
- Passionate about writing and maintaining high-quality software that solves real-world meaningful problems at scale
- Interested in helping your teammates grow, and continually expanding the team’s tech knowledge
- Experience writing large scalable applications
- Experience delving into and solving complex issues in a distributed system
- Able to shepherd projects from prototype stage into production
- Fluent in several programming languages, both dynamic and static. Experience with Python and Java preferred. C++, Go, or Scala are also beneficial.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience (PhD a plus)
- 3+ years of development experience
- Information retrieval, search engine design, query tuning, learn to rank, search evaluation
- Experience with, or interest in learning: machine learning and computer vision (deep learning a plus). If you do not know any machine learning or computer vision you will be exposed to work in these fields and will have the opportunity to begin learning more.
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes experience
- Hadoop, Hive, Spark or related technologies
- Open source experience
- Strong engineering discipline and ability to write clean code in python or Java
- Familiarity with tools for working with data in AWS such as Amazon Redshift, Amazon Athena or related
- Familiarity with large scale data processing or ETL workflow frameworks (Airflow, Luigi, Pinball)
Shutterstock, Inc. (NYSE: SSTK), is a leading global provider of high-quality licensed photographs, vectors, illustrations, videos and music to businesses, marketing agencies and media organizations around the world. Working with its growing community of over 100,000 contributors, Shutterstock adds hundreds of thousands of images each week, and currently has more than 80 million images and nearly 4 million video clips available.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices in Amsterdam, Berlin, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, London, Los Angeles, Montreal, Paris, San Francisco, and Silicon Valley, Shutterstock has customers in more than 150 countries. The company also owns Bigstock, a value-oriented stock media agency; Offset, a high-end image collection; PremiumBeat a curated royalty-free music library; Rex Features, a premier source of editorial images for the world's media; and WebDAM, a cloud-based digital asset management service for businesses.
Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V
Meet Some of Shutterstock's Employees
VP, Content Operations
Paul is responsible for scaling Shutterstock's content strategy and distribution processes—helping contributors better monetize their creative brands and maximizing company revenue.
Back to top