Senior Server Engineer
This role may be for you if...
- When you go grocery shopping you naturally run a traveling sales algorithm to most efficiently fetch what you are looking for.
- You naturally gravitate to and love to play with location-based apps but have a strong desire to build something that puts them all to shame.
- You want your work to have a significant impact on the team, the company, and our products.
- You thrive in fast-paced, fun, highly collaborative teams of 4-6 engineers.
- You value driven, supportive, collaborative co-workers who respect quality code.
In a typical week you might ...
- Design a lightning quick API to return locations centric data
- Present your service design at an Engineering-wide architecture review
- Perform architecture and code reviews for team members across Engineering
- Investigate the root cause of load pressure on backend service hosts
- Mentor junior engineers on defensive coding and designing decoupled, reusable modules
We are looking for ...
- 7+ years of experience designing, building and implementing server software
- Strong experience building location-based services
- Strong coding ability in an object oriented language (Python, Ruby, Java, C#, etc.)
- Excellent team player with strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Eagerness to solve challenging problems
- Experience using relational (MySQL preferred) and NoSQL (Cassandra preferred) databases
- Familiarity with open source web frameworks (such as Pylons, Rails, or Django)
- Solid understanding of performance and scaling bottlenecks in service oriented architectures
- Excellent knowledge of Linux based systems management, debugging and troubleshooting
- Strong understanding of the uses and characteristics of common server infrastructure technologies (e.g. Zookeeper, Memcached, Docker, DC/OS, Hadoop/HDFS)
- Bachelor’s degree or better in Computer Science
Extra points if you have ...
- Deep experience with Python / Pylons
Work perks ...
- From stock options to bonuses, you’ll be rewarded when goals are met
- Our Flexible Time Off policy let's you take as many days as you need. When your work is covered, we encourage you to recharge.
- Monthly transit subsidies
Meet Some of Shopkick's Employees
Chief Executive Officer
As Shopkick’s CEO, Bill provides leadership and oversees the direction of company growth and business strategy. His main goal is to ensure Shopkick’s people and culture are operating as a cohesive unit.
Back to top