Director of Engineering, Consumer Team
This role may be for you if ...
- Every week you explore new apps and services because the app world is fluid and inspiration can come from anywhere.
- You track the latest iOS and Android platform developments while considering how you can bring similar capabilities to the web.
- You love the challenge of finding new mechanisms and channels for efficiently attracting and engaging new consumers.
- You define your success by your teams’ success and strive to make your teams as successful as possible.
- You value driven, supportive, collaborative co-workers who respect quality.
In a typical week you might ...
- Design a flexible gamification engine
- Help your team create a new UI framework to be used by other teams
- Work with the Marketing and Data Analysts to understand the efficacy of user acquisition channels
- Perform architecture and code reviews for team members across Engineering
- Investigate the root cause of memory and pressure on backend service hosts
- Perform 1:1s with your team members
- Mentor junior engineers on defensive coding and designing decoupled, reusable modules
We are looking for ...
- 10+ years of experience designing, building, sophisticated service-backed consumer experiences
- 3+ years experience managing engineering teams with at least 10 people
- Strong experience building apps on iOS (Objective-C/Swift) and/or Android (Java)
- Solid experience building back-end services (preferably in Python)
- Experience using a variety of data platforms (MySQL, Cassandra, Hadoop, Druid preferred)
- Excellent team player with strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Excellent knowledge of Linux based systems management, debugging and troubleshooting
- Solid understanding of the uses and characteristics of common server infrastructure technologies (e.g. Zookeeper, Kafka, Memcached, Docker, DC/OS)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Extra points if you have ...
- Deep experience with various approaches to gamification
- Experience with growth hacking / rapid consumer acquisition
- Experience building mobile / desktop web apps
- Experience managing remote teams
Meet Some of Shopkick's Employees
Chief Executive Officer
As Shopkick’s CEO, Bill provides leadership and oversees the direction of company growth and business strategy. His main goal is to ensure Shopkick’s people and culture are operating as a cohesive unit.
Back to top