Director of Data
This role may be for you if ...
- You love the broad challenge of managing the strategic direction and tactical needs of a diverse set of data-related disciplines including Business Intelligence, Data Analytics, Data Science, Fraud, Machine Learning, Engineering … you know, the more the merrier!
- You love enabling people across the company to explore, learn, and adapt from the data around them. Ah heck, computers are basically just people with less personality, so let’s enable them too (and we’ll solve the personality part later!)
- Your day is not fulfilled until you know your teams’ efforts have put a smile on the face of someone in Sales, Marketing, Finance, or Product.
- You define your success by your team’s success and strive to make your teams as successful as possible.
- You value driven, supportive, collaborative co-workers who respect quality.
In a typical week you might ...
- Work with Finance and Sales to improve revenue predictions and identify profit drivers
- Work with Marketing team to assess effectiveness of use acquisition campaigns by channel / LTV
- Work with Data Scientists and Engineers to develop content personalization models / algorithms
- Work with PMs, Data Analysts and Data Platform team to improve analysis and exploration tools
- Perform reviews of reports, models and code reviews of SQL
- Perform 1:1s with your team members and provide career guidance
- Mentor Data Analysts, Data Scientists and Engineers on methodologies, data quality, query design, data driven software development and clear communication of findings
We are looking for ...
- 10+ years of experience solving sophisticated business and product problems using data
- 3+ years experience managing data analysts, data scientists and/or engineers with a data focus
- Expert knowledge of SQL and one of Python, Scala and/or Java
- Experience with big data systems / tools (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Pig, MapReduce, Tableau)
- Strong working knowledge in the majority of the following data areas: data analytics, data mining, machine learning, personalization, and experiment design and analysis
- Excellent team player with strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics or Economics
Extra points if you have ...
- PhD in Statistics
- Experience building and maintaining data platforms / products.
- Fluent in either R or Matlab.
- Experience with real-time data processing systems (e.g. Spark Streaming, Storm, Kafka, Flink)
- Familiarity with methods for detecting fraud
- Experience managing remote team members
Meet Some of Shopkick's Employees
Chief Executive Officer
As Shopkick’s CEO, Bill provides leadership and oversees the direction of company growth and business strategy. His main goal is to ensure Shopkick’s people and culture are operating as a cohesive unit.
Back to top