Making commerce better for everyone has been Shopify’s focus since our founders started a snowboard business online. Realizing that selling online was complex and very technical, they set out to simplify the experience. Since then, Shopify has been improving the way that people start, run, and grow businesses. The work you do will impact more than 300,000 entrepreneurs all over the world, their community of customers, and many 3rd party partners.
About the UX Research team
The UX Research team guides and informs the company towards designing and building better products and experiences for people using a variety of research methods. Researchers work with teams to incorporate people-centric thinking from problem definition to post-launch iteration. We ask thoughtful research questions, conduct contextual research, frame problems, synthesize insights, evaluate concepts or prototypes, and assist with launches and releases.
We value diversity and learning from one another, so you’ll be joining a team of researchers from various backgrounds (e.g. anthropology, psychology, human-computer interaction, industrial design). You’ll have opportunities to learn, lead, and contribute to meaningful work.
You’ll be working on:
- Articulating research questions and priorities with teammates, then creatively using a range of research methods to answer those questions
- Synthesizing and summarizing findings to inform product, UX, and marketing decisions
- Collaborating closely with designers, developers, product managers, and other disciplines to design, implement, and track new products or experiences
- Sharing knowledge, identifying, and solving wider problems with other UX researchers
- Helping merchants grow their businesses with better marketing tools and selling in more ways (e.g. point of sale, new sales channels)
You'll need to have:
- Research experience in a product development or service design context
- Hands-on experience scoping and prioritizing research questions, research planning, data gathering, analysis, summarizing, and sharing findings
- Experience applying a range of research methods with creativity, scrappiness, and critical thinking
- A desire to continually experiment with and develop new methods
- Examples of projects where your research insights led to better informed design decisions (e.g. to guide product roadmaps, strategy decisions)
- Examples of how you influenced teams or companies to become more people-centred
- A love for asking questions, seeking answers, and working with others to solve difficult design problems
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Familiarity with combining qualitative and quantitative data
- Spoken at conferences or written about research, UX, design, or strategy
- Skills, hobbies, or experience that have given you a unique perspective on UX research
- Experience starting your own business
Join Shopify for:
- The opportunity to represent the customer and directly influence positive changes to our product and brand experience
- Autonomy. We don’t believe in micro-management. You’ll have both the support and the freedom to approach problems as creatively and efficiently as you can
- The chance to join an awesome UX team and continue our quest to Make Commerce Better for everyone who sells online, in-person, and everywhere in between
- The opportunity to learn and grow with the best in the business. We want you to do the best work of your career, and we’ll give you everything you need to make it happen
- A culture that values authenticity, openness, and diversity in everything we do
If you're interested in this position please click "Apply Now" and we'll be in touch with you. Please make out your cover letter to Sophia!
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your background is thisclose to what we’re looking for, please consider applying, even if you aren’t able to check every box above. We are dedicated to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace for all and especially encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Back to top