Senior Software Developer - Merchant Services
Shopify is the longest continuously developed Rails app on the planet. Many core Rails features were actually developed at Shopify, and we’re constantly improving our codebase to make it better or leaner. We’re looking for back-end developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. If you’re interested in helping us build the future of Shopify, this job’s for you. We ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We host tens of thousands of online stores, and see hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of merchants will see your work within seconds – a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
You'll need to have:
- Proficiency with UNIX commands
- Experience with relational databases and SQL (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Experience building and scaling user-focused web applications
- A strong commitment to quality
I'd be great if you had experience with:
- Experience contributing to our community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking, or organizing
- Experience with Rails or the desire to learn it quickly
You'll be working on things like:
- Writing back-end code in Ruby and possibly Go
- Collaborating with other designers and developers
- Providing beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Using TDD to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Contributing back to the open source community
- Learning and growing constantly
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Krystle Olson.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your background is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying, even if you aren’t able to check every box above. We are dedicated to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace for all and especially encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Back to top