We’re looking for product analysts to work on our core products (Shopify Capital and Shipping) to help drive informed business decisions at Shopify.
But what characteristics are we looking for in our next product analyst? You craft narratives grounded in data on how our merchants are interacting with our platform and new features that we ship. You not only look at what has happened, but more importantly, what has changed in merchant behavior and then provide an Occam's razor style explanation. You are aware that difference audiences care about different elements and you tailor your narrative accordingly.
You are scrappy in your execution but not in your thinking. You will be formulating hypotheses to drive usage/conversion, deploying A/B experiments, analysing results and drawing the right conclusions. You are partnering with Shopify product managers daily, and you are an advocate of using data to make better decisions. You are a self-starter but you also like to work closely with engineers, UI / UX, designers and product people, and who can do both analysis work and will have some experience building software.
You will have a direct impact on the success of new features that Shopify ships and that excites you!
You'll need experience with:
- Building narratives around merchant behaviour at scale using data that you collect and analyze
- Acting as a sparring partner to our product managers regarding the use of data in order to make informed product decisions
- Planning, executing and analyzing A/B experiments
- Automating recurring analysis requests
Some skills you probably have are:
- 2+ years experience doing quantitative analysis preferably for an Internet-based company (ideally)
- BA/BS in Math, Statistics, Economics / Business, Computer Science, or other quantitative field. Advanced degrees preferred but not required
- Strong fluency in SQL and some development experience preferably in Python or Ruby
- Solid understanding of statistical concepts such as multivariate analysis, type I / type II errors, effect sizes and linear regression
It'd be great if you also have experience with:
- Running your own (Shopify) online store (hint: sign up for a free trial)
- Analyzing large datasets using Redshift, Presto, Impala, Hive or Spark
- Building dashboards using BI tools such as Tableau, Looker, or Mode
If you’re interested in helping Shopify shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Solmaz.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.