Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform and we have no plans to slow down. We’re on a mission to scale our platform while simultaneously improving performance, reliability, and resiliency. To do this, we need the help of dedicated, methodical, and versatile developers who can take a look at a problem and figure out how to solve it without a ton of direction.
Shopify is the longest continuously developed Rails app on the planet. Many core Rails features were actually developed at Shopify, and we’re constantly improving our codebase to make it better or leaner. We’re looking for developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. If you’re interested in helping us build the future of Shopify this job’s for you. You’ll work on the merchant facing UI, expand our API, and improving how we run the admin in production. We ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We host tens of thousands of online stores, and see hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of merchants will see your work within seconds – a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
You'll need to have:
- Proficiency with UNIX commands
- Experience with relational databases and SQL (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Experience building all aspects of web applications
- Experience building and scaling user-focused web applications
- A strong commitment to quality
- The drive to work autonomously and to be highly resourceful
It'd be great if you have experience with:
- Experience contributing to our community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking, or organizing
- Experience with NodeJS OR the desire to learn it quickly
- Start-up experience (wears all hats)
- Eager to work on the full stack
- Mobile development experience
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Nick. We will be accepting applications until August 14th, then will be contacting folks between August 15-18th.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.