At Shopify, one of our values is “do things, tell people.” Our Engineering team is working hard at the former, and we’re adding strong, strategic communicators to our team to support the latter. Engineering communicators at Shopify have a passion and curiosity for technical nitty-gritty and knowledge sharing, and they’re comfortable working with Shopifolk to craft smart, engaging communications internally and externally.
You'll need to have:
- A passion for making commerce better for everyone
- A self-starter spirit where you pinpoint a project’s purpose, plan and hit milestones, and know when to ask for help
- Deep interests in engineering and communication: you know which companies are telling their engineering stories well and what opportunities Shopify can grab
- Demonstrated experience and results with storytelling and communicating whether through written, oral, or visual media
- A workhorse mentality, willing to pitch in on stuff big and small to get things done
It'd be great if you also had experience with:
- Thinking about companies through culture and organizational behavior lenses
- Editing, copy-editing, and writing longform that dig comprehensively into subjects (not necessarily engineering-related, although that doesn’t hurt)
- Building editorial calendars for social and blog content
- Working with metadata and information architecture
- Creating custom images, videos, graphics, and interactive content
- Event planning with a firm understanding of hospitality and a bounty of ideas for raising engagement
You'll get to do things like:
- Tell comprehensive stories across all of Shopify Engineering's external channels: our engineering blog, Twitter, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and more
- Work with other internal groups to develop and implement Engineering Communications strategies designed to meet their objectives
- Support Engineering talent in communication initiatives including conference presentations and media opportunities
- Champion Engineering Communications thought leadership across Shopify, through insights, education, and sharing your passion for the discipline
Here’s how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Send in your CV (no cover letter required) and include three recent pieces you wrote or edited in addition to three articles on communicating you find interesting and include brief (under 100 words) descriptions why.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your background is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying, even if you aren’t able to check every box above. We are dedicated to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace for all and especially encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Back to top