Developer - Support Operations
Shopify is the world’s leading commerce platform and with that comes a rapidly growing support team. The support that our team provides is a huge part of what make our merchants love Shopify. Our support team uses an ever evolving variety of tools, many built in house, in order to support our merchants. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team that is responsible for all things tooling related for our growing support team. This means building new apps from scratch, integrating with third party software, or anything else that comes up. Our team adapts to whatever challenges are thrown our way, whether it’s something we already know how to solve or have to figure out as a brand new solution. Shopify is the longest continuously developed Rails app on the planet and many core Rails features were developed at Shopify. Although there may be opportunities to experiment in other languages, 95% of what we build will be with Rails. The group of Developers working within Support Operations is currently small so you’ll have an opportunity to have a large impact on the future of the team.
You'll need to have:
- Proficiency with UNIX commands
- Experience with relational databases and SQL (we mostly use MySQL)
- Some experience using a version control system like Git
- Built web applications, ideally with Ruby on Rails
I'd be great if you had experience with:
- Experience with Rails or the desire to learn it quickly
- Zendesk and/or Salesforce and their APIs
- Heroku for deploying code
- Github for collaborating on code
You'll be working on things like:
- Looking for ways to increase the efficiency and reduce toil for our support teamLooking for ways for our merchants to solve problems more easily
- Collaborating with other technical and non-technical coworkers
- Using TDD to write well tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems properly
- Learning and growing constantly
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Cash & Louie. This posting will close December 15, 2016.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your background is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying, even if you aren’t able to check every box above. We are dedicated to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace for all and especially encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Back to top