Data Platform Developers at Shopify support the organization in making better decisions. We deploy and maintain a variety of scalable technologies for extracting and transforming a multitude of different sources of data, and spend time working with the Data Analysts to model that data into a form supporting analysis. We have a petabyte scale Hadoop cluster running Apache Spark for transformation, and a variety of analytics technologies on top of it.
Data Engineering is also an amazing place to learn: we operate at virtually all levels of the stack, we design tools and frameworks and work closely with their users, and we are constantly trying to master new patterns, technologies, and processes to make data as useful as it can be at Shopify.
We need passionate software and operations developers who are excited about data. Data work can be extraordinarily rewarding and extraordinarily frustrating. So, we're looking for people who can work with us to build simple infrastructure and simple code to end up on the rewarding side as often as possible. We run the infrastructure as well as the code on top of it, which means we want people that are excited to step up or down a level to solve the right problem. We want to work with people who have lots to teach and even more to learn, as a co-operative and effective team.
You'll need to have:
- Extensive software development experience - you are proficient with things like software design patterns, code review, a variety of languages and paradigms, TDD, etc.
- Extensive database experience - you are familiar with things like SQL query authoring, table design patterns for OLAP and OLTP, a variety of databases, and the tradeoffs between them
- Infrastructure experience - you'll need to be familiar with administering server clusters, incident response, analyzing performance at all levels of the stack, and capacity planning
- Data warehousing experience - ideally, experience with dimensional modelling, metadata management, data cleaning and conforming, and warehouse query patterns
- Team work experience - you'll need to be someone who enjoys working together with other developers, discussing solutions to problems, and supporting others in their goals
It'd be great if you have experience with:
- Python expertise
- Scala expertise
- Tableau Server administration or Tableau Desktop report authoring
- Business Intelligence: defining metrics, conforming different definitions, and experimentation methodology
- Hadoop administration, MapReduce job authoring and support
- Remote team/distributed work environment
Here’s how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Alex Angelini.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.