Marketing Manager - Pharma / Biopharma
- Columbia, MD
Marketing Manager (Pharma/BioPharma) – Columbia, MD
Shimadzu Scientific Instruments is one of the largest suppliers of analytical instrumentation, physical testing, and environmental monitoring systems in the world. Our products include Gas Chromatographs, Liquid Chromatographs, Mass Spectrometers, Total Organic Carbon Analyzers, UV-Vis Spectrometers, Fluorescence, Atomic Absorption, IR, X-Ray, and Universal Testing Machines. In 1975, SSI Corporate Headquarters was established in Columbia, Maryland and we currently have ten regional offices coast to coast.
The individual in this position is responsible for the strategic and tactical planning, organization, implementation and management of marketing activities to the Pharmaceutical Marketplace and in addition will provide leadership to increase all of Shimadzu product line(s) market share in SSI’s territory. This individual must be able to discern US market trends and guide SSI in this direction. Incumbent will be a team player with energy to lead the tactical marketing efforts of SSI by building strong relationships and cooperation with other departments within SSI (USA), Shimadzu Corporation (Japan), other subsidiaries, 3rd party partners, collaborators and especially the field Sales team. There will be some corporate selling involved, which includes but is not limited to, travel with the general sales force. There may be other related duties assigned from time to time.
The position is to provide leadership and direction to strategic and tactical marketing of SSI. This person becomes part of the Senior Level Marketing Team and work together to increase the overall business of SSI. The candidate will evaluate and determine future market and technological trends to increase assigned products market share. The Marketing Manager will coordinate with other departments and outside parties to ensure organized marketing activities utilizing all resources to produce business growth. Sales and Marketing Alignment is a major initiative.
JOB FUNCTIONS INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Develop short and long term marketing strategy for each Product line for the assigned Market in SSI’s territory. (Monthly)
- Together with executive management, set targeted number of assigned products to be synchronized with sales revenue target for each half of a fiscal year. (Semi Annually)
- Monitor and implement mid. and short-term strategies and tactics to attain the targeted number of the sales forecast. (Weekly)
- Create marketing plan and budget together with the other Marketing Managers and product managers to implement and developed long and mid. term strategies. (Quarterly)
- Manage various marketing campaigns aimed toward customers in the assigned market segment. This includes but not limited to email campaigns, lead nurturing campaigns, customer retention campaigns etc.. The use of CRM and Marketing Automation software as tools will be implemented. (Daily)
- To obtain and report metrics around various marketing campaigns.
- To inquire and determine why we are winning and losing sales opportunities.
- To evaluate new products for market fit and develop strategy to introduce them. This will be divided into projects to be performed locally within the USA and to be performed globally. (Monthly)
- To be an expert in understanding of market wants, needs and desires applicable to current and future trends within the industry and to communicate those needs to Corporate Headquarters. The use of various survey tools, customer observations and trade reports should be implemented. (Daily)
- Visit regional offices or distributors to evaluate their performance and to find what countermeasure is required to improve their performance of sales. (Quarterly)
- To contribute to exhibitions with tactics aimed toward the assigned market segment and in some cases to act as the lead Marketing Manager coordinating activities for the exhibition. This requires working with all the product managers and sales. (Monthly)
- To analyze SSI’s performance and competition, to analysis the business environment, to identify new market entrants for determining the effects on long-term strategy. (Monthly)
- To advise Shimadzu Corporation regarding market trend, competitive situation and marketing and support issues which will contribute both SSI and Shimadzu Corporation’s business. (Monthly)
- Coordinate relationship with other Shimadzu Group companies to improve SSI’s business situation by global approach. (Quarterly)
- Assist in developing and maintaining relationship with third party partners and collaborators to improve assigned Markets business. (Monthly)
- Plan, coordinate and present technical marketing presentations at conferences, trade shows and at selected corporate, government and academic institutions. (Weekly)
- Foster and track Collaborations with Key Opinion Leaders as it relates to a tactical business plan. (Weekly)
- Work closely with Marketing Communications Department to plan, implement, and maintain a regular productions schedule of printed application notes, newsletter articles and other related technical marketing documents. (Daily)
- Create and implement training programs aimed towards increasing our sales and technical staff in understanding the assigned market space. Alignment between sales and marketing requires that we deliver the same message to our customers. (Monthly)
- Work with the General Manager of Business Development for Pharmaceuticals/Biopharmaceuticals to meet business objectives. (Weekly)
This position’s primary focus is marketing all of Shimadzu’s products to your assigned market with an aim to increase the number of Sales Ready Leads passed to the sales force as well as strategic / tactical planning.
Market Knowledge (Pharmaceuticals)
Market Knowledge (Biopharmaceuticals)
Microsoft Dynamics CRM
Product Knowledge (LC, UHPLC, LCMS, etc)
PROBLEM SOLVING REQUIREMENTS:
The incumbent must be proficient at operating both independently and as a team within the guidelines and goals set by the VP of Marketing. Good organizational, listening and communication skills are required. This person works together with other Marketing Managers as needed due to the overlap of their respective markets therefore a team approach is necessary.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Incumbent must have a Bachelor’s degree in Science or business, while an advanced degree is highly preferred. Position requires at least eight (8) years prior successful history in management of sales and/or product marketing in analytical instrument business. Attention to detail and strong customer service skills are required along with a dependable work ethic.
Although this position has no direct reports it is expected that they are a role model of upper management. That is this person should garner the respect of all employees and external contacts. Personal integrity, work ethic and motivational energy are characteristics of the type of leader we expect. This is a senior level position and lack of personnel to manage is a reflection of the freedom this position requires to act freely without the additional burned to manage. Resource groups are available to be consulted as needed including Marketing Communications, Documentation, R&D, Safety and Training, and Business development.
Shimadzu Scientific Instruments is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top