Applications Scientist - Life Sciences
The individual in this position is responsible for providing real world applications solutions and high-level technical support for Life Science related products such as LCMS, LC-MS/MS, Bio LC, Protein Sequencers, etc. This Applications Scientist position requires exceptional communication and coordination skills, working closely with the customers, product managers, marketing, and sales persons, to drive sales and marketing opportunities. He/she must have hands-on experience with mass spectrometry and HPLC instruments as well as sample preparation to provide applications development, sample analysis, training and demonstration. The candidate is also expected to prepare and present scientific material in support of marketing and sales at seminars and scientific conferences. This position focuses more on the end-user desired applications and problem solving incorporating any of Shimadzu product lines to that end.
This position not only provides application solutions to promote the marketing and sales of Life Science products, but is key in supporting marketing activities for all assigned products.
JOB FUNCTIONS INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Assist with customer and research sample preparation.
- Run customer samples and provide analysis reports to customers.
- Provide demonstration and presentation of Life Science, LC-MS, LC-MS/MS products to customers to support the sales effort.
- Provide demonstration and presentation of Protein Sequencer to customers to support the sales effort.
- Develop application notes and other technical documents to support the sales and marketing effort.
- Develop and maintain training program and documentation for Life Science products.
- Provide training, telephone, web and on-site technical support of LC-MS and Bio products.
- Perform applications work as required to fulfill specific customer’s and collaborator’s needs.
- Present technical marketing presentation at conferences, trade shows and at selected institutions.
- Obtain market competitive information for LC-MS and Bio products and assist in its analysis for the sales force.
- Cooperate with Shimadzu Subsidiaries worldwide.
- Must travel overnight and drive, as the position requires both domestically and internationally.
- Prepare monthly reports to include lab activities, research results and market related issues.
- Provide technical support to customers by phone, email, webinar and on-site visits.
- Prepare and/or review marketing materials as required.
- Assist with all other duties as assigned.
This position's primary focus is to provide technical expertise and applications development to our customers, sales force, technical support and service personnel of Life Science Products to ensure that Shimadzu meets or exceeds its goal and objectives. This person must be the expert in all facets of application fields using Life Science products for qualitative and quantitative analysis.
Organizational and Presentation Skills
Protein/Proteomic Sample Preparation
Clinical Sample Preparation
PROBLEM SOLVING REQUIREMENTS:
The individual in this position is required to solve complex problems within limited time frame with technical proficiency, scientific creativity and independent line of thought. The position requires extensive troubleshooting and isolation of variables in a methodical and efficient manner to solve customers and regional problems. The ability to work with a diverse group while allocating limited resources effectively.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Having passion on science and bench work, the individual in this position must have comprehensive expertise and hands-on experience on every aspect of LC-MS applications in qualitative and quantitative analysis. Thorough understanding of modern mass spectrometry and chromatography is required. He/she has to demonstrate a proven record of being a fast learner, excellent communicator and thoughtful team builder.
Incumbent must have at least a MS Degree in Chemistry (or a closely related field), while a Ph.D. is highly preferred. With Ph.D. degree, 2-5 years experience is necessary; with MS degree, 5-10 years experience is required. Marketing and/or business experience within a manufacturing or distribution business in chromatography and mass spectrometry a big plus.
Shimadzu Scientific Instruments is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top