We believe car buying should be fun, fair, and accessible to everyone. We’ve set out to transform an industry, using technology to bring transparency and convenience to the car buying process.
And we aren’t stopping there. We aim to bring that same transparency and convenience to car ownership too, with payments, maintenance, and insurance in one easy app. At Shift, we’re building the tools that empower people to buy, own, and sell the cars that make life go.
We are looking for a self-starter who loves the thrill of the hunt, the chase, and who is driven by recruiting fundamentals while also having the desire and ability to build new processes, run large scale events, shape Shift’s employment brand, scale the culture, and a whole lot more. Ambiguous tasks excite you, and you see opportunity versus challenge when it comes to building something that no one at Shift or in the industry has built in a world class recruiting program. You will partner directly with hiring managers and company leadership to establish your recruiting plan and then execute the strategy to identify, attract, and hire the best and the brightest engineering, product, and design candidates.
What you'll do
- Define our recruiting strategy that will help us achieve our ambitious hiring goals as we expand the team across all engineering, product and design functions
- Drive the full cycle recruiting process including sourcing, screening, interviewing, extending offers and hiring best in class talent
- Innovate on ways to attract and source world class engineers and designers
- Create and own the candidate experience ensuring the Shift brand is strong through the recruiting process
- Identify process improvement areas and solutions, share and encourage best practices with the rest of the Recruiting and People Ops team
- Help manage interview load distribution and assist getting new hiring managers and interviews calibrated on hiring best practices
- Develop a deep relationship with your candidates, understanding their goals, values, and interests to get accepts from every offer we make
- Drive events and programs for Shift’s recruiting and employment brand efforts
- Assist on roles outside of Engineering, Product, and Design if open headcount volume warrants additional help
What we ask for
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 3+ years of Staffing experience in an executive search firm, agency, or in-house corporate talent team (preferably full cycle and startup experience)
- Proven sourcing fundamentals
- Experience assessing ambiguous problem spaces and building programs or solutions to address business objectives
- Excellent communicator with both hiring managers and candidates
- Experience in tech industry required
- Experience with an ATS (we’re using Lever!)
Our company depends on balance and equality — between buyers and sellers, among employees, and in our relationships with customers.
Our mission to evolve car ownership and transform an industry is a challenging one. It can only be achieved by a team of diverse problem-solvers — engineers, designers, business people — from the same broad demographics as our customers.
Why join now?
We’ve built a small but highly talented team backed by >$275 million in funding from investors like DFJ, Goldman Sachs, BMW, and Nissan. In October 2018 we announced a deep partnership and a $140m round led by the third largest auto retailer in the US, Lithia Motors. With strong product-market fit and a great business in California, the next two years will be focused on scaling the business nationally.
Shift is the Bay Area’s #1 seller of used cars with $150 million in cars sold per year. We’re serving most of California and are gearing up to scale to new markets. With a solid business model and no clear winner in our space yet, this is a hugely exciting time to join the team.
Back to top