Software Engineer, iOS
We believe car buying should be fun, fair, and accessible to everyone. We’ve set out to transform an industry, using technology to bring transparency and convenience to the car buying process.
And we aren’t stopping there. We aim to bring that same transparency and convenience to car ownership too, with payments, maintenance, and insurance in one easy app. At Shift, we’re building the tools that empower people to buy, own, and sell the cars that make life go.
Engineers at Shift build things that matter; every engineer works on exciting, meaningful projects, and defines our technical and product strategy. We move fast, have fun, and help each other out. We’re a Silicon Valley startup with a second engineering office in the Arlington area. We're looking for engineers who love building great iOS apps. This is an opportunity to shape the very early stages of a company and product that has the potential to transform a huge market. Mobile is an important part of both our internal logistics as well as consumers’ experience with our product - we aim to reinvent how cars are bought and owned in a world dominated by mobile technology.
- Build a sustainable and stable platform for new product ideas to flourish
- Work with the team to help us set priorities and focus on the right things
- Improve our tech stack, tools, and processes
- Participate in discussions and brainstorms to contribute ideas and feedback
- Help and mentor other team members; collaborate as part of a team
- 2+ years of experience building and shipping production iOS software
- You’re excited about building clean, well-tested code
- BS, MS and/or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field
- Have been part of multiple releases of a large iOS app
Our company depends on balance and equality — between buyers and sellers, among employees, and in our relationships with customers.
Our mission to evolve car ownership and transform an industry is a challenging one. It can only be achieved by a team of diverse problem-solvers — engineers, designers, business people — from the same broad demographics as our customers.
Why join now?
We’ve built a small but highly talented team backed by >$275 million in funding from investors like DFJ, Goldman Sachs, BMW, and Nissan. In October 2018 we announced a deep partnership and a $140m round led by the third largest auto retailer in the US, Lithia Motors. With strong product-market fit and a great business in California, the next two years will be focused on scaling the business nationally.
Shift is the Bay Area’s #1 seller of used cars with $150 million in cars sold per year. We’re serving most of California and are gearing up to scale to new markets. With a solid business model and no clear winner in our space yet, this is a hugely exciting time to join the team.
Back to top