Software Engineer, iOS
We believe car buying should be fun, fair, and accessible to everyone. We’ve set out to transform an industry, using technology to bring transparency and convenience to the car buying process.
And we aren’t stopping there. We aim to bring that same transparency and convenience to car ownership too, with payments, maintenance, and insurance in one easy app. At Shift, we’re building the tools that empower people to buy, own, and sell the cars that make life go.
Engineers at Shift build things that matter; every engineer works on exciting, meaningful projects, and defines our technical and product strategy. We move fast, have fun, and help each other out. Mobile is a critical component of both our core operations as well as consumers’ experience with our product. We aim to reinvent how cars are bought and owned in a world dominated by mobile technology.
Much of what we have on the roadmap for iOS haven't even been started yet, which is exciting if you’re looking to build premium mobile applications from scratch. We make use of high-quality open source libraries whenever possible (like Realm, Alamofire, and SwiftyJSON). We’re looking for engineers with a proven track record of building mobile applications in Objective-C (preferably Swift) with high standards, and a solid design sense. You’ll have direct influence in shaping very early stages of a product that has enormous potential to transform a huge, antiquated market.
- Complete ownership of products and projects, from concept to production
- Work with the team to help set priorities and focus on the right things
- Improve our tech stack, tools, and processes
- Participate in discussions and brainstorms to contribute ideas and feedback
- Help and mentor other team members; collaborate as part of a team
- 3+ years of app development experience on iOS
- You’re excited about building clean, well-tested code
- You’re capable of owning projects and working closely with other engineers to build exceptional mobile applications.
- Demonstrated experience and passion for delivering the best user experience on mobile
Our company depends on balance and equality — between buyers and sellers, among employees, and in our relationships with customers.
Our mission to evolve car ownership and transform an industry is a challenging one. It can only be achieved by a team of diverse problem-solvers — engineers, designers, business people — from the same broad demographics as our customers.
Why join now?
We’ve built a small but highly talented team backed by $250+ million in funding from investors like DFJ, Goldman Sachs, and BMW iVentures. We’ve got product-market fit, but there’s still a ton of room to innovate and make your mark on the product and on the company.
Shift is the Bay Area’s #1 seller of used cars with $100 million in cars sold per year. We’re serving most of California and are gearing up to scale to new markets. With a solid business model and no clear winner in our space yet, this is a hugely exciting time to join the team.
Back to top