Software Engineer, Back-end
We believe car buying should be fun, fair, and accessible to everyone. We’ve set out to transform an industry, using technology to bring transparency and convenience to the car buying process.
And we aren’t stopping there. We aim to bring that same transparency and convenience to car ownership too, with payments, maintenance, and insurance in one easy app. At Shift, we’re building the tools that empower people to buy, own, and sell the cars that make life go.
Engineers at Shift build things that matter. Every engineer works on exciting, meaningful projects, and defines our technical and product strategy. We move fast, have fun, and help each other out. We’re looking for experienced backend engineers to build world-class infrastructure with us. This is an opportunity to join a fantastic team at a company with the potential to transform an entire industry.
Our infrastructure engineering team builds the systems, libraries, and platforms that enable our internal logistics and all of our applications to function. These systems help the rest of the company move faster and build better software. They enable Shift to scale to more cities and more users, and they power every fantastic customer experience.
- Take full ownership of features from idea through launch
- Test and iterate to ship software with proven customer value
- Set priorities and help us focus on the right things
- Improve our tech stack, tools, and processes
- Help and mentor other team members; collaborate as part of a team
- 2+ years of experience building back-end systems for production applications
- Strong knowledge of at least one server-side programming language and related frameworks (Go, PostgreSQL, Salesforce, and AWS are what we use, but definitely not required coming in)
- BS, MS and/or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field
Our company depends on balance and equality — between buyers and sellers, among employees, and in our relationships with customers.
Our mission to evolve car ownership and transform an industry is a challenging one. It can only be achieved by a team of diverse problem-solvers — engineers, designers, business people — from the same broad demographics as our customers.
Why join now?
We’ve built a small but highly talented team backed by >$275 million in funding from investors like DFJ, Goldman Sachs, BMW, and Nissan. In October 2018 we announced a deep partnership and a $140m round led by the third largest auto retailer in the US, Lithia Motors. With strong product-market fit and a great business in California, the next two years will be focused on scaling the business nationally.
Shift is the Bay Area’s #1 seller of used cars with $150 million in cars sold per year. We’re serving most of California and are gearing up to scale to new markets. With a solid business model and no clear winner in our space yet, this is a hugely exciting time to join the team.
Back to top