Pricing and Inventory Specialist
We believe car buying should be fun, fair, and accessible to everyone. We’ve set out to transform an industry, using technology to bring transparency and convenience to the car buying process.
And we aren’t stopping there. We seek to bring that same openness and simplicity to car ownership too, with payments, maintenance, and insurance in one easy app. At Shift, we’re building the tools that empower people to buy, own, and sell the cars that make life go.
Our Pricing and Inventory team sits at the heart of our marketplace, ensuring we provide fair quotes to sellers, shape the inventory to be desirable by buyers and drive the growth and profitability of our markets. As a Pricing and Inventory Specialist, you will be responsible for pricing and inventory management, driving process and algorithm improvements for Shift’s internal pricing tool, shaping our pricing policies and strategies and much more.
The ideal candidate will have experience and understanding of the car market, strong analytical, project management and communication skills. The position requires frequent dives into thorny operational issues and implementing data-driven process improvements. You love a challenge, solving problems, technology, and getting things done. This requires significant relevant work experience and excitement about the opportunity to join a fast growing startup which is dramatically changing how cars get bought and sold.
- Manage markets inventory life-cycle and reviews, monitor inventory health, vehicle merchandising, initial and lifetime list price management
- Oversee asset validation processes (training, guidelines, escalations, and our tools)
- Oversee learning and feedback sessions on pricing reviews, markdown reviews, algorithmic discrepancies and outliers
- Support our operations teams processes for manually-appraised quotes
- Provide coverage to our auction buying processes (previewing, bidding and price reviews)
- Support the development of pricing rationale, selling points and understanding of pricing structures
- Providing critical input to engineering and product team on our pricing algorithm and other pricing and inventory related products and software
- Designing and running pricing experiments
- Analyzing internal and external sales and inventory data; generating critical insights
- Owning pricing processes and improvements
- Tracking, monitoring, and reporting on pricing performance
- At least 3 years of experience in highly operational and analytical roles
- Experience working in high-growth, performance-focused environments
- Understanding and knowledge of the automotive industry: you are a true car enthusiast!
- Nice to have: you have experience with how car pricing works
- Nice to have: Auction or wholesale car buying experience
- Be incredibly truth-seeking. Use experiments, data analysis and 3rd party data to find ways to improve pricing algorithm and inventory software
- You are a self starter, can take a project from beginning to end, no task left behind
- You are autonomous, flexible, hungry to learn and grow, comfortable with ambiguity and change
- You have a strong work ethic, are a team player and thrive in collaborative, cross functional environments
- Strong communication skills
- You do the analysis and are ready to implement - no analysis paralysis, things are moving too fast
- Deep interest in analyzing data and the ability to see beyond the numbers to drive sound decision-making
- Strong Excel skills required, experience with SQL is a nice to have
Our company depends on balance and equality — between buyers and sellers, among employees, and in our relationships with customers.
Our mission to evolve car ownership and transform an industry is a challenging one. It can only be achieved by a team of diverse problem-solvers — engineers, designers, business people — from the same broad demographics as our customers.
Why join now?
We’ve built a small but highly talented team backed by >$275 million in funding from investors like DFJ, Goldman Sachs, BMW, and Nissan. In October 2018 we announced a deep partnership and a $140m round led by the third largest auto retailer in the US, Lithia Motors. With strong product-market fit and a great business in California, the next two years will be focused on scaling the business nationally.
Shift is the Bay Area’s #1 seller of used cars with $150 million in cars sold per year. We’re serving most of California and are gearing up to scale to new markets. With a solid business model and no clear winner in our space yet, this is a hugely exciting time to join the team.
Shift is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top