We believe car buying should be fun, fair, and accessible to everyone. We’ve set out to transform an industry, using technology to bring transparency and convenience to the car buying process.
And we aren’t stopping there. We seek to bring that same openness and simplicity to car ownership too, with payments, maintenance, and insurance in one easy app. At Shift, we’re building the tools that empower people to buy, own, and sell the cars that make life go.
Shift is bringing transparency and trust to the used car industry. Data is core to this transformation: from building best-in-class pricing, to loan decisioning, to logistics optimization, to in-product recommendations. If you’re passionate about using data to fix an enormous, antiquated industry, you’ll fit right in.
We are seeking a Data Analyst to help us improve our business by performing analysis to support strategic decision making, managing reporting, and work closely with our engineering and data science team to build data pipelines and models. The ideal candidate is highly motivated, committed to learning and personal development, and adaptable to a fast pace environment. The candidate will apply strong business judgement and technical skills to derive valuable insights from data. This is the perfect opportunity for someone with 1-4 years of work experience in an analytical role to gain valuable experience at a high-growth, mobile commerce start-up.
The person in this role will have the opportunity to work on analytics problems cross-functionally. In a new product roll-out, they might be tasked with developing a go-to-market strategy or partnering with engineers and product managers to ensure the launch is measurable. In scoping a new pricing structure, they might be tasked with forecasting the impact on our bottom line and providing recommendations on how to modify our pricing algorithms. And in all the ways we test and refine our business, they will partner to design data schemas and performance metrics that provide the views we need to steer our business. Experience with the auto industry or knowledge of cars is a plus but not required.
We're looking for someone who will:
- Develop a deep understanding of specific areas of the business and the key metrics that drive performance. Query data to analyze, monitor, and investigate trends
- Structure complex and sometimes ambiguous business issues and develop compelling, insightful recommendations
- Use statistics to analyze experiments and build models for use in pricing, marketing, or logistics
- Manage key performance indicators (KPI’s), automate reporting wherever possible
- Perform extensive data QA. Troubleshoot issues and work cross-functionally towards a solution
The ideal candidate will have:
- A love for learning and personal development
- 1-4 years of professional experience in a highly analytical fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in SQL, one or more programming languages (e.g., Python), and at least one statistical package (e.g., R)
- Comfort with both qualitative and quantitative analysis. Passion for delivering actionable insights
- Ability to execute a project from start to finish with independence, resourcefulness, and creative thinking
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An ability to work well with people - both on our team, with partners, and customers
- B.A./B.S./M.Sc or equivalent degree in quantitative field
Our company depends on balance and equality — between buyers and sellers, among employees, and in our relationships with customers.
Our mission to evolve car ownership and transform an industry is a challenging one. It can only be achieved by a team of diverse problem-solvers — engineers, designers, business people — from the same broad demographics as our customers.
Why join now?
We’ve built a small but highly talented team backed by >$275 million in funding from investors like DFJ, Goldman Sachs, BMW, and Nissan. In October 2018 we announced a deep partnership and a $140m round led by the third largest auto retailer in the US, Lithia Motors. With strong product-market fit and a great business in California, the next two years will be focused on scaling the business nationally.
Shift is the Bay Area’s #1 seller of used cars with $150 million in cars sold per year. We’re serving most of California and are gearing up to scale to new markets. With a solid business model and no clear winner in our space yet, this is a hugely exciting time to join the team.
Shift is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top