Team Lead - Technical Writing
Founded in 2009, SendGrid is an industry-disrupting, cloud-based customer communication platform that solves the challenges of reliably delivering emails on behalf of our customers. We deliver over 30 billion emails a month for customers like Airbnb, Spotify, and Uber.
External documentation is a critical component of the SendGrid product and release process. It consistently averages 10% of site traffic. Our docs are a crucial part of aiding self-service and improving the overall Developer and Customer Experience. According to ProgrammableWeb’s survey, documentation is the most important factor for developers using APIs above libraries, code examples, and uptime.
As the Technical Writing Team Lead at SendGrid, you will write high quality customer friendly documentation to help drive self service and add to a positive customer experience, while also leading other Technical Writers. You will learn a lot about our product and you will be aware of all new features before they come out.
What You'll Do
- Live by and champion our cultural values of Happy, Hungry, Honest, and Humble
- With assistance from leadership, handle 1 on 1 and quarterly reviews with the team, providing mentorship and feedback
- Manage the Developer Experience Technical Writing team, helping them to be fulfilled, happy, and efficient in everything they do through constant feedback and mentorship
- Take a servant leader approach to leading your team, always exemplifying the idea of working in the customer’s best interest
- Expect and deliver the best in what you do
- Maintain and improve all of the customer-facing documentation
- Continue to keep SendGrid’s documentation one of the best docs and developer experiences in the SaaS community, by identifying current customer pain and multiple opportunities for how to solve or alleviate their pain
- Have no reservations or shyness about asking every single question that you think of about SendGrid or the product
- Work with multiple people across many geographically distributed teams to be a resource of knowledge and helpfulness to anyone in the company who needs it
- Manage and maintain the team’s workflow and Kanban backlog
- Help us implement and improve content style guides
- Be willing to get real friendly with Git and Jekyll
- Identify processes that are not working well, make suggestions for improvement, implement in an appropriate way, and communicate the changes to the appropriate people.
- Willingness to manage or perform customer testing within the current documentation to identify ways to improve this product.
- Negotiate delivery timelines with multiple dependencies in a dynamic team environment with short turnaround times, developing and maintaining a high quality code base
- Manage your team’s quarterly and sprint planning, communicating current status with your PM and across the organization, adjusting your schedule to account for new and shifting priorities while clearly communicating the downstream impact to your committed projects and timelines.
- Manage Developer Experience team process and delivery communications with the rest of the company via the team’s points of contact on the various customer facing and engineering teams
- We're an agile, fast growing company and this job description isn't meant to be a complete list of your qualifications or all of the things you'll do
- You must be an empathetic human who can quickly identify and have a consistent desire to do whatever it takes to fix current customer pain
- Love to write documentation, articles, and blog posts that customers will be happy to read and use
- A love for grammar and punctuation with a teacher’s heart for others who are not blessed with your experience and skills.
- 5+ years experience producing technical documentation for a SaaS product or application where you've worked with developers, with at least 1 year experience in team leadership or management
- A deep and personal understanding of what an API is, how it works, and what developers are looking for from API documentation
- An appreciation for being part of a fast-paced, constantly iterative, and agile environment
- A relentless passion for creating industry leading products and the highest quality customer experience
- Fastidious attention to consistency and accuracy
- It’s preferable that you’re in Denver, but Orange or Redwood City, California could work too
- A love for technology and technical people
- Experience with Jira and agile processes - this can be taught, but it’s still nice to have ahead of time
- Persuasive - Bring others to their point of view using logic, data, and emotion. Have a formal process and framework by which to make qualitative and quantitative points, not just using emotional appeals
- Accountable - Being willing to answer for the outcomes resulting from their own choices, behaviors, and actions. Take ownership of situations that they're involved in
- Self Motivated - Motivated to do or achieve something because of one's own enthusiasm or interest, without needing pressure from others
- Focused - Achieve what they set out to do before launching new initiatives. Complete company-linked goals and tasks, not simply to be busy and active
- Collaborative - A keen ability to support cross-functional projects and decisions. Gets energized from working within a team and cross-functionally to achieve the company's goals
SendGrid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic information, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
Meet Some of SendGrid's Employees
Customer Success Manager
Lauren helps customers capitalize on SendGrid capabilities by answering inquiries, introducing new products, and streamlining the overall customer experience—encouraging implementation of new strategies.
Back to top