Software Engineering Intern - Business Systems
Founded in 2009, SendGrid is an industry-disrupting, cloud-based customer communication platform that solves the challenges of reliably delivering emails on behalf of our customers. We deliver over 30 billion emails a month for customers like Airbnb, Spotify, and Uber.
SendGrid is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a wide range of technical skills and expertise who are interested in solving large-scale development problems, like how to deliver billions of transactional emails per month in a secure and scalable way.
As a software engineering intern at SendGrid, you will work on a small, versatile and passionate team, tackling new problems as we continue to push our technology forward. You will be working alongside team members that have a diverse set of technical backgrounds and skill levels. You will also build strong experience in test writing, reliability, and automation methodologies, and work closely with our quality engineering team to verify and deploy code through multiple testing environments.
Although we do send 3% of the world’s wanted email, SendGrid is much more than an email company, and our mission has a much greater scope. To handle communication at our scale requires expertise from nearly every area of computer science.
This is a paid internship beginning in the summer of 2017.
What You'll Do
- Live by and champion our cultural values of Happy, Hungry, Honest, and Humble
- Contribute to highly usable web applications & APIs with heavy traffic
- Build and enhance products that empower businesses to share exciting news, events, and offers with their customers
- Work with other engineers on reliable, distributed services that scale dynamically
- Learn in a dynamic team environment with short turn-around times, developing and maintaining multiple high-quality, focused projects
- Contribute ideas to improve our service, software, and development process
- Troubleshoot problems and implement fixes as needed
- Test drive code to ensure highly reliable, readable, and reusable test suites
- We're an agile, fast growing company and this job description isn't meant to be a complete list of your qualifications or all of the things you'll do
- Studying Computer Science or a related technical discipline
- Experience with RESTful API design will be beneficial
- Knowledge of Linux is a plus
- Familiarity with containerization (Docker) and deployment systems (such as Chef)
- Interest in computer science topics: data structures, algorithms, software design, architecture, and object oriented programming
- Exposure to a variety of programming languages (strongly vs dynamically typed imperative languages) and technologies (SQL, NoSQL, Git)
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excited to participate on a team in an open, collaborative environment
- Passionate about writing clean, efficient code, and learning new technologies and best practices
- Accountable - Being willing to answer for the outcomes resulting from your own choices, behaviors, and actions. Take ownership of situations that you’re involved in.
- Self Motivated - Motivated to do or achieve something because of your own enthusiasm or interest, without needing pressure from others.
- Focused - Achieve what you set out to do before launching new initiatives.
- Collaborative - A keen ability to support cross-functional projects and decisions. Gets energized from working within a team and cross-functionally to achieve the company's goals.
SendGrid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic information, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
Back to top