Software Engineer - Labs
As a software engineer in SendGrid Labs, you will work on a small, cross-functional, nimble and dynamic team to build and validate experiments in an effort to expand SendGrid’s market opportunities. You’ll touch all aspects of the product development cycle, from ideation and validation to prototyping and deploying. You’ll have the opportunity to engage with users, identify problems, architect solutions, write code and deploy solutions to test product hypothesis. Ultimately, you will shape architectural solutions that enable us to achieve our goal of simplifying communication between businesses and their customers.
Join the Grid in our downtown Redwood City office - the official home of our Labs team.
What You'll Do
- Live by and champion our cultural values of Happy, Hungry, Honest, and Humble
- Be part of a high velocity, cross-functional team focused on experimental product, design, validation, prototyping and testing
- Work across many functional domains (full stack)
- Collaborate with Product and Design to build the next generation of SendGrid products
- Convert wireframes and visual design files into prototypes and fully functioning interfaces
- Contribute to the creation and maintenance of our SendGrid “Experiment Lab,” where we run pilots and surveys with customers to test demand.
- Participate in design and code reviews, as your role will be weighted toward front end work
- Implement scalable solutions utilizing caching, pagination, loading data on demand, and other techniques to manage massive, yet accessible, data sets
- BS Computer Science, related technical discipline, or relevant work experience
- 4+ years of professional software development experience with a focus on user interfaces
- Solid experience with React and NodeJS
- Strong sense of aesthetics and user experience
- Strong understanding of technologies such as REST, HTTP, and JSON
- Working knowledge of AJAX and Dom Manipulation
- Ability to learn and adapt in a fast paced environment
- Familiarity with browser compatibility issues and comfortable in debugging browser problems
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, software design and architecture, and OO design
- An understanding of web security and defensive programming techniques
- Experience with Microservices architectures
- Experience in SaaS systems
- Experience with TDD
- Knowledge of Linux
- Experience with Go (Golang), NoSQL, Python, Java, NoSQL and AWS services
- Experience with email applications and SMTP
- Experience with high transaction services & APIs
- Experience with large data sets
- High scale systems software design and development experience
- Experience building fault tolerant systems in high transaction environments
Founded in 2009, SendGrid built its reputation solving a key pain point of delivering transactional emails that respond to customer behavior (purchase receipts, order confirmations, password resets, etc.). In 2015, SendGrid expanded the platform into marketing email use cases, enabling customers to have one platform for both transactional and marketing email. We deliver over 30 billion emails a month for customers like Airbnb, Spotify, and Yelp.
Meet Some of SendGrid's Employees
As Chief Architect, J.R.’s job is to be accountable for the technology strategy and help guide its execution, which means he helps meet customer needs as efficiently as possible.
Back to top