Manager of Software Engineering - Platform
Founded in 2009, SendGrid is an industry-disrupting, cloud-based customer communication platform that solves the challenges of reliably delivering emails on behalf of our customers. We deliver over 33 billion emails a month for customers like Airbnb, Spotify, and Uber.
SendGrid’s Manager of Software Engineering will be a dynamic and inspiring software product development leader with a passion for managing, mentorship, and influential leadership. You will grow and lead one talented engineering team, facilitate Agile methodologies and own, review and manage sprint planning in collaboration with executive staff and product management. Your primary responsibilities will be to hire great people, mentor through regular feedback, and lead the team to consistently deliver, but you should also be able to dig in and solve hard technical problems and provide deep technical guidance as we grow to massive scale. To succeed in this role, you will have a passion for Agile software development, fostering a culture of collaboration, and possess a strong background in the SaaS or PaaS space to help us foster constant growth and innovation. Ultimately your job is to ensure we rapidly ship high quality software to support our scaling and growing business.
What You’ll Do
- Live by and champion our cultural values of Happy, Hungry, Honest, and Humble
- Lead development teams through design, development, testing, code reviews, and deployment of features and components
- Lead your team to evaluate and analyze new technology and software for feasibility, impact, and viability
- Drive efficiency and predictability on your team(s)
- Drive alignment within your team(s) for a common goal or deliverable
- Work with Product Manager as a Product Owner to define priorities and roadmap
- Work collaboratively with peers in other disciplines to meet team commitments
- Responsible for the overall success of your teams
- Accountable to the business regarding the team’s high functioning and effective operations
- Monitor progress and communicate with team and stakeholders and adjust work as needed
- Responsible for sourcing and interviewing software engineer candidates for roles on your team
- Responsible for creating staff development plans and mentoring your team in a way that reflects the needs of individual developers
- Provide guidance on improving the engineering organization to increase throughput, improve quality, and continuously improve processes
- Drive technical excellence on your team(s) and push to prioritize technical debt cleanup
- Have regular 1:1s with every team member per departmental guidelines
- Provide performance feedback and coaching for the team
- Nurture SendGrid’s culture
- Build and maintain relationships with peer managers inside your functional domain
- Begin building a recruiting pipeline in the community
- We're an agile, fast growing company and this job description isn't meant to be a complete list of your qualifications or all of the things you'll do
- 7-12 plus years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of experience and education
- At least 1 year of people management responsibility
- Proficient across a highly diverse set of technologies (hadoop Golang, HAproxy, etc.)
OR expert in at least one technology
- Ability to oversee the design of complex components and large scale systems
- Discern and identify hidden requirements during design and implementation
- Ability to closely track small details of large and complex engineering projects--a bit of an OCD mindset would be valuable here
- Deep-seated drive to deliver
- Emotionally Intelligent - Recognize their own, and other people's emotions, to discriminate between different feelings and label them appropriately, and to use this to guide thinking and behavior.
- Decisive - Uses a framework or process to make decisions. At times, will need to make decisions quickly and often with incomplete data.
- Persuasive - Bring others to their point of view using logic, data, and emotion. Have a formal process and framework to make qualitative and quantitative points, not just using emotional appeals.
- Accountable - Being willing to answer for the outcomes resulting from their own choices, behaviors, and actions. Take ownership of situations that they're involved in.
- Self Motivated - Motivated to do or achieve something because of one's own enthusiasm or interest, without needing pressure from others.
- Focused - Achieve what they set out to do before launching new initiatives. Complete company-linked goals and tasks, not simply to be busy and active.
- Collaborative - A keen ability to support cross-functional projects and decisions. Gets energized from working within a team and cross-functionally to achieve the company's goals.
- Experience at substantial scale
- Experience with all phases of the recruiting pipeline
- Experience with Kafka at scale
- Experience with Ceph
SendGrid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic information, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
Meet Some of SendGrid's Employees
As Chief Architect, J.R.’s job is to be accountable for the technology strategy and help guide its execution, which means he helps meet customer needs as efficiently as possible.
Back to top