Manager of Software Engineering - Platform
Founded in 2009, SendGrid is an industry-disrupting, cloud-based email company that solves the challenges of reliably delivering emails on behalf of our customers. We deliver over 25 billion emails a month for customers like Airbnb, Spotify, and Uber.
SendGrid’s Manager of Software Engineering will be a dynamic and inspiring software product development leader with a passion for managing, mentorship, and influential leadership. The Manager of Software Engineering will grow and lead one talented engineering team, facilitate Agile methodologies and own, review and manage sprint planning in collaboration with executive staff and product management. Your primary responsibilities will be to hire great people, mentor through regular feedback, and lead the team to consistently deliver, but you should also be able to dig in and solve hard technical problems and provide deep technical guidance. Your team will focus on developing and maintaining multi-datacenter managed systems for the flow, processing, and storage of massive amounts of data. To succeed in this role, you will have a passion for Agile software development, fostering a culture of collaboration and innovation, and possess a strong background in the SaaS or PaaS space. Ultimately your job is to ensure we rapidly ship high quality software to support our scaling and growing business.
What You’ll Do
- Live by and champion our cultural values of Happy, Hungry, Honest, and Humble
- Lead development teams through design, development, testing, code reviews, and deployment of features and components
- Define policies and best practices for your team(s) while adhering to department best practices
- Lead your team to evaluate and analyze new technology and software for feasibility, impact, and viability
- Work with product management to define the work for your team(s)
- Drive efficiency and predictability on your team(s)
- Drive alignment within your team(s) for a common goal or deliverable
- Work with Product Manager as a Product Owner to define priorities and roadmap
- Work collaboratively with peer managers in other disciplines to meet team commitments
- Hold yourself and your team(s) accountable for your commitments
- Responsible for the overall success of your teams
- Accountable to the business regarding the team’s high functioning and effective operations
- Monitor progress and communicate with team and stakeholders and adjust work as needed
- Responsible for sourcing and interviewing software engineer candidates for roles on your team
- Responsible for mentoring software engineers to foster their career growth and progression
- Responsible for creating staff development plans that speak to the needs of individual developers
- Ensure quality in the Blueprint design and work product
- Provide input on improving the engineering organization to increase throughput, improve quality, and continuously improve processes
- Drive technical excellence on your team(s) and push to prioritize technical debt cleanup
- Have regular 1:1s with every team member per departmental guidelines
- Provide performance feedback and coaching for the team
- Understand your individual team members' goals and provide career progression coaching for those goals
- Cascade important company information to your team(s)
- Provide inspirational thought leadership to the team in the areas of software development best practices, industry direction and innovation
- Nurture SendGrid/Engineering culture
- Proactively communicate to managers and stakeholders on commitment risks
- Build and maintain relationships with peer managers inside your functional domain
- Begin building a recruiting pipeline in the community
- We're an agile, fast growing company and this job description isn't meant to be a complete list of your qualifications or all of the things you'll do
- 7-12 plus years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of experience and education
- At least 1 year of people management responsibility
- Proficient across a highly diverse set of technologies (hadoop Golang, HAproxy, etc.)
OR expert in at least one technology
- Proficient in your functional domain (frontend, backend, operations, etc.)
- Ability to oversee the design of complex components and large scale systems
- Ability to oversee the translation of architecture vision into concrete system designs
- Discern and identify hidden requirements during design and implementation
- Ability to closely track small details of large and complex engineering projects--a bit of an OCD mindset would be valuable here
- Deep-seated drive to deliver
- Emotionally Intelligent - Recognize their own, and other people's emotions, to discriminate between different feelings and label them appropriately, and to use this to guide thinking and behavior.
- Decisive - Uses a framework or process by which to make decisions. At times, will need to make decisions quickly and often with incomplete data.
- Persuasive - Bring others to their point of view using logic, data, and emotion. Have a formal process and framework by which to make qualitative and quantitative points, not just using emotional appeals.
- Accountable - Being willing to answer for the outcomes resulting from their own choices, behaviors, and actions. Take ownership of situations that they're involved in.
- Self Motivated - Motivated to do or achieve something because of one's own enthusiasm or interest, without needing pressure from others.
- Focused - Achieve what they set out to do before launching new initiatives. Complete company-linked goals and tasks, not simply to be busy and active.
- Collaborative - A keen ability to support cross-functional projects and decisions. Gets energized from working within a team and cross-functionally to achieve the company's goals.
- Experience at substantial scale
- Experience with all phases of the recruiting pipeline
- Experience with Kafka at scale
- Experience with Ceph
SendGrid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic information, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
Back to top