Director of Product Design
Founded in 2009, SendGrid is an industry-disrupting, cloud-based customer communication platform that solves the challenges of reliably delivering emails on behalf of our customers. We deliver over 35 billion emails a month for customers like Airbnb, Spotify, and Uber.
Are you ready to join a company that is deeply committed to design and customer research? From the executive-level down, SendGrid firmly believes that great user experiences will be a long-term differentiator. We conduct hundreds of customer interviews a year, maintain a state-of-the-art style guide, and have NPS as one of our top four company metrics. Joining as our Director of Product Design you’ll be championing our incredible team of product designers in craft, process, and strategy to create products and experiences that our customers love and value. This will be an exciting ride and it’s a perfect time to join!
What You’ll Do
- Live by and champion our cultural values of Happy, Hungry, Honest, and Humble
- Enthusiastically help your team hone their craft of product design. Encourage the sharing of new techniques and tools, showcase best of breed experiences in the market, invest in professional development, and provide regular and timely critique of new designs
- Be a proud people manager. Identify, hire and engage talented, customer-centric team members. Provide regular, frequent, constructive and direct feedback to help employees excel at their job and craft, navigate their desired career path, and experience the satisfaction of professional growth while at SendGrid. Conduct retrospectives to constantly learn and improve
- Be a customer advocate. Coach your team on how to best navigate a rigorous, customer-informed process to identify and prioritize customer problems and rapidly validate solutions. Be a passionately vocal advocate for the SendGrid Customer through all stages of research, design, development and go-to-market activities
- Uphold and evolve SendGrid’s brand and style guide. Maintain an extremely high bar for quality and consistency
- Be arm-in-arm with your departmental peers. Happily communicate and connect with your peers in UX, Product Management, Engineering, and Marketing in order to share learnings, align priorities, and identify opportunities for improvements to process or people
- Be a strategic leader. Set monthly, quarterly and annual priorities in support of SendGrid’s overall company annual imperatives and the team’s strategic goals
- We're an agile, fast-growing company and this job description isn't meant to be a complete list of your qualifications or all of the things you'll do
- 10+ years in a user experience, product design, or a related field; 4+ years of experience as a people manager
- You have a bachelor’s or master’s degree, ideally in HCI, Human Factors, Information Management, Design, Psychology or Anthropology
- You understand how to manage user experience within a SaaS product company
- You care deeply about the customer and have first-hand experience in applying research methodologies such as user interviews, usability testing, card sorting, and journey mapping
- You’ve worked with large enough teams to know how to scale product design processes, tools, and the organization of data for optimal sharing and efficiency
- You have a modern lean approach to design: you believe in iterative cycles of testing and learning and can expertly match fidelity to the current learning objective
- You are an expert at facilitating meetings with clear purpose, agenda, roles, responsibilities and action items
Meet Some of SendGrid's Employees
As Chief Architect, J.R.’s job is to be accountable for the technology strategy and help guide its execution, which means he helps meet customer needs as efficiently as possible.
Back to top