DevOps Engineer (Night Shift)
SendGrid is looking for a talented and passionate individual to help manage our world-class SaaS email delivery infrastructure. This individual will be part of a team that ensures the reliability and performance of a large and diverse tech stack. They will be providing critical systems response capabilities during the night (9PM to 7AM 4 days per week). Additionally, this individual will work on critical path operations projects.
What You’ll Do
- Take personal responsibility for the availability and reliability of our service
- Use configuration management tools to interact with and manage SendGrid infrastructure
- Identify key system metrics and ensure adequate monitoring coverage for new and existing services, leveraging lessons learned while providing front-line response
- Support our existing production systems while also finding ways to improve it
- Work on our server image configurations, collaborating with other engineers to optimize for task performance, reliability, failover and scale
- We're an agile, fast growing company and this job description isn't meant to be a complete list of your qualifications or all the things you'll do
- You have the passion to "do server management infrastructure right"
- A minimum of 5 years of Linux system administration experience
- A minimum of 2 years experience using configuration management tools (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc)
- A minimum of 2 years experience monitoring large-scale deployments (Sensu, Nagios, Graphite, OpenTSDB, etc)
- Familiarity supporting at least two of the following: Ruby, Go, Perl, Python
- Experience with virtualization systems: KVM, QEMU, etc.
- Strong familiarity with the SMTP protocol
- Computer Science / Engineering degree or equivalent experience
- A distributed systems foundation and a service-oriented mindset
- You've "carried the pager" before (ideally at both a startup and a large infrastructure provider) & have first-hand experience with what happens when infrastructure / tools fail
- You are a self-starter who works well independently and in off-hours
- You have great communication skills with the ability to work asynchronously with a large team
- You’ve worked in colo-based SaaS environments with more than 100 servers
- You read up on and experiment with new technologies because it’s in your nature, not because it’s a job requirement
- You don’t just learn how things work, you learn why
SendGrid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic information, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
Back to top