Sr Recommendation Engineer
- a tech company changing the way the world reads
- a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, comic books, and sheet music
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something great.
About the Sr Recommendation Engineer Role
Our recommendations algorithms are a central part of the Scribd product and one of the biggest drivers of new book discoveries. Because this team works on features including, recommendations, search, payments and the mobile app API, we use a wide variety of technologie including Ruby on Rails, Go, ElasticSearch, Hadoop (Scalding, Hive, HBase), MySQL, Sphinx, and Redis. Our team boasts several recent accomplishments such as a caching image server in Go that processes millions of images a day and a fuzzy matching text filter that can instantly detect two similar, but not identical, passages of text out of a database of all the books in the world. Pretty neat, right?
Here’s where you come in. Our team is working on the book equivalent of Pandora's "Music Genome Project": an ambitious project to organize all the books in the world and use it to take book discovery to the next level which means we are building the world's best recommendation engine for books.
Other projects include:
- Integrating a new credit card gateway into our payments system, which processes hundreds of thousands of transactions every month
- Implementing new features and improving the performance of our mobile API, which serves requests for all our Android and iOS readers
- 2+ years industry experience designing and implementing recommender systems
- Strong coding and debugging skills with a good intuition for OO software design
- Strong background in algorithms with a focus on applied problem solving
- Good understanding of mathematical foundations of recommendations and machine learning algorithms
- Solid Engineering and Computer Science fundamentals, ideally with a degree in CS, Math, or equivalent experience (dropped out to build your own startup? Great!)
- We are located in downtown San Francisco, just a few minutes’ walk from BART
- 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full time employees
- We have a small budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
- We have a lot of trust with very little bureaucracy
- Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
- Coffee and tea runs every afternoon
- Apple laptops and Thunderbolt displays
- Company events that include monthly happy hours and offsites (past events include Safari West, Stinson Beach, ski trips, etc)
Back to top