Software Engineer - Recommendations
- a tech company changing the way the world reads
- a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, news, magazines, and sheet music
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the team
Our recommendations algorithms are a central part of the Scribd product and one of the biggest drivers of new book discoveries. This team works on a variety of features including, recommendations, search, payments and the mobile app API, using a wide variety of technologies including Ruby on Rails, Go, ElasticSearch, Hadoop (Spark, Hive, Cassandra), MySQL, Sphinx, and Redis.
Our team boasts several recent accomplishments such as adding millions of cross content recommendations through topic extraction, and a fuzzy matching text filter that can instantly detect two similar, but not identical, passages of text out of a database of all the books in the world. Pretty neat, right?
Here’s where you come in. Our team is working on the book equivalent of Pandora's "Music Genome Project": an ambitious project to organize all the books in the world and use it to take book discovery to the next level which means we are building the world's best recommendation engine for books.
Other projects include:
- Designing a new user interest model so we can curate a more personalized home page.
- Implementing and researching impression discounting so we can keep recommendations as fresh as possible.
- 2+ years industry experience designing and implementing recommender systems
- Strong coding and debugging skills with a good intuition for OO software design
- Strong background in algorithms with a focus on applied problem solving
- Good understanding of mathematical foundations of recommendations and machine learning algorithms
- Solid Engineering and Computer Science fundamentals, ideally with a degree in CS, Math, or equivalent experience (dropped out to build your own startup? Great!)
Why we work here
- We are located in downtown San Francisco, just a few minutes’ walk from BART
- 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
- We have a small budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
- We have a lot of trust with very little bureaucracy
- Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
- Coffee and tea runs every afternoon
- Apple laptops and Thunderbolt displays
- Company events that include monthly happy hours and off-sites (past events include Safari West, Stinson Beach, ski trips, etc)
- In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team on The Muse!
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance. We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.
Meet Some of Scribd's Employees
Social Media Manager
On the Marketing Team, Freya reaches out to Scribd's readership community, communicating and connecting with book lovers through innovative and inventive photography and copy.
Back to top