Senior Software Engineer - (API, Search, Recommendation)
- a tech company changing the way the world reads
- a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, comic books, and sheet music
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the Search & Recommendation Team
We're looking for strong engineers with either experience or interest in payments, search, or recommendation.
Because this team works on features including recommendations, search, payments and the mobile app API, we use a wide variety of technologies including Ruby on Rails, Go, ElasticSearch, Spark/Hadoop, MySQL, Sphinx, and Redis. Our team boasts several recent accomplishments such as a distributed, scaling, caching image server in Go that processes millions of images a day and a fuzzy matching text filter that can instantly detect two similar, but not identical, passages of text out of a database of all the books in the world.
Some projects we are currently tackling:
- Building the world's best recommendation engine for books (machine learning in Spark, runtime in Ruby and Go). We are working on the book equivalent of Pandora's "Music Genome Project": an ambitious project to organize all the books in the world and use it to take book discovery to the next level.
- Scaling backend search infrastructure (using technologies like Elasticsearch, Solr, HDFS, Spark, Hive, and Go) to achieve a low latency and high availability search service for our website and our apps.
- Improving search quality by implementing and tuning ranking algorithms, indexing schemes, and better search suggestions.
- Building well designed and fast API endpoints for our mobile apps (in Ruby and Go).
- Migrating our payments system to a new payment gateway and implement new payment methods and features to increase revenue.
- 5-7+ years experience writing and shipping clean code that works
- Solid background in algorithms with a focus on applied problem solving
- Bachelor's or higher in mathematics, computer science, physics, or equivalent experience
- strong SQL skills and the ability to analyze large and complex datasets
- We are located in downtown San Francisco, just a few minutes’ walk from BART
- 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
- We have a small budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
- We have a lot of trust with very little bureaucracy
- Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
- Coffee and tea runs every afternoon
- Apple laptops and Thunderbolt displays
- Company events that include monthly happy hours and off-sites (past events include Safari West, Stinson Beach, ski trips, etc)
- In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team on The Muse!
Meet Some of Scribd's Employees
From UI to animation, Paris builds, tests, and implements new mobile features before live launch on Scribd’s servers, providing readers and subscribers with a smooth experience.
Back to top