- a tech company changing the way the world reads
- a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, news, magazines, and sheet music
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the team
Our small team has built the #2 largest Rails site on the web (by traffic) using a variety of technologies including Ruby, Java, Scala, and Go.
We believe in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We’re looking for engineers who share this view and are excited about writing quality code, trying new technologies, and playing well with others.
Examples of past and current projects include:
- Building curation tools that enable a handful of editors to curate a library of over 1 million titles
- Managing end-to-end integration with publishers, from ingestion of book metadata to calculating publisher payouts
- Building internal tools, such as a batch process automation system that tracks the history of every run of every job and enables date-based dependency scheduling. Fun fact: this system has orchestrated ~50k hours of distributed work for our data warehouse since going into production around a year ago.
- Building GUI interfaces for curation tools, admin panels, and the data warehouse automation tool.
- When Scribd launches a new vertical (comics, sheet music, court documents, etc) we’re the team that does the data modeling, metadata parsing, and various other backend tasks.
- Managing integration with ExactTarget, including real-time and periodic systems for syncing data for millions of users, an API allowing ExactTarget to fetch user recommendations for individual users, and a data export pipeline for marketing analytics
- Curating a world-class collection of cat videos for the office wallscreens
- 2-4+ years professional programming experience
- At least 1 year of that in Ruby
- CS/CE degree or equivalent professional experience
- Experience building internal tools
Why we work here
- We are located in downtown San Francisco, just a few minutes’ walk from BART
- 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
- We have a small budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
- We have a lot of trust with very little bureaucracy
- Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
- Coffee and tea runs every afternoon
- Apple laptops and Thunderbolt displays
- Company events that include monthly happy hours and off-sites (past events include Safari West, Stinson Beach, ski trips, etc)
- In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team on The Muse!
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance.
We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.
Meet Some of Scribd's Employees
Social Media Manager
On the Marketing Team, Freya reaches out to Scribd's readership community, communicating and connecting with book lovers through innovative and inventive photography and copy.
Back to top