Product Manager, Discovery
- a tech company changing the way the world reads
- a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, news, magazines, and sheet music
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the team
Our product is the soul and center of everything we do and our product team is trusted with making the critical decisions that shape the future of both our company and our product. The Discovery team is shaping how our readers will receive daily value from our service. You will work on redefining how readers find and consume content to satisfy their curiosity and thirst for knowledge. This mission critical role requires both a technical understanding of how search and recommendation systems work in addition to having deep user empathy to understand how readers find new content to read.
Success is measured in ease of use and discernible, measurable increase in reading time and ultimately an increase in retained subscribers.
On any given day you might:
- Leverage research, data analysis and insight, to craft innovative product roadmaps engage and delight our readers. KPIs include increases in readership across all of our product offerings: eBooks, audiobooks, magazines, etc.
- Work with designers to validate unproved user needs through user research
- Work with our search engineers on improving our ranking algorithms
- Dive deep into user segments with our data team to find new reading behaviors to address in the product
- Work with our editorial and engineering team on matching the right editorial content to the right readers
- Run and analyze A/B tests to validate solutions and to generate new ideas
Nothing gets you more excited than working across engineering, design, and data teams to create thoughtful, innovative, consumer focused products that delight your customers. You have a strong, proven record of solving problems efficiently and effectively. You see the bigger picture which empowers you to plot the shortest route or most effective path and the leadership to get buy in from multiple teams. You have the entrepreneurial and self starter attitude to build, iterate and get your hands dirty, doing what it takes to get the job done and get it done well.
- 2 to 5+ years experience (formal or de facto) of product management experience
- 2+ years building web search, discovery, and/or recommendations functionality for consumer facing products
- experience with Elasticsearch, Hadoop, Hive, Spark and/or or other search related technology
- BA/BS in computer science or related field (math, physics, etc)
- Experience collaborating directly with Product Design teams, using your exceptional design sense, to deliver experience that surprise and delight your users
- strong leadership skills and ability to influence cross-organizational teams
Why we work here
- We are located in downtown San Francisco, just a few minutes’ walk from BART
- 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
- We have a small budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
- We have a lot of trust with very little bureaucracy
- Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
- Coffee and tea runs every afternoon
- Apple laptops and Thunderbolt displays
- Company events that include monthly happy hours and off-sites (past events include Safari West, Stinson Beach, ski trips, etc)
- In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team on The Muse!
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance.
We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.
Meet Some of Scribd's Employees
From UI to animation, Paris builds, tests, and implements new mobile features before live launch on Scribd’s servers, providing readers and subscribers with a smooth experience.
Back to top