- a tech company changing the way the world reads
- a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, comic books, and sheet music
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the iOS team
We’re a small team working on an app with millions of active monthly users. You’ll work on everything from UI to API communication to database storage. We work together with teams across the company, including design, backend, and product, to make a solid app that our users love and use every day.
We believe in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We’re looking for engineers who share this view and are excited about writing quality code, trying new technologies, and playing well with others.
You will work on challenges including:
- Making sure our app is a beautiful, delightful reading experience
- Experimenting with MVC alternatives and pushing UIKit to the limit to implement delightful & elaborate interfaces.
- Design APIs and systems for synchronizing user data and reading progress across multiple devices seamlessly.
- Architect and maintain state machines & caches to robustly organize users’ downloaded content and provide them with a perfect offline experience
You’re an engineer who ships high-quality code and supports the team around you while working in an environment with multiple features in flight. You enjoy facilitating technical discussions and implementing new technologies and methodologies when change is needed. You value code review as a time to learn and mentor. You focus on well-written, elegant solutions, not just the quick fix, and you never skimp on testing. You are always learning and always working to improve your craft.
Ideally you have:
- 3-4+ years experience shipping production level code, with at least one year leading a team
- Experience being responsible for the deployment of an app and for the quality of your team’s code
- experience working on a large-scale, popular iOS app
- At least one shipped iOS app that leverages Core Data, Realm, or similar
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience
- We are located in downtown San Francisco, just a few minutes’ walk from BART
- 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
- We have a small budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
- We have a lot of trust with very little bureaucracy
- Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
- Coffee and tea runs every afternoon
- Apple laptops and Thunderbolt displays
- Company events that include monthly happy hours and off-sites (past events include Safari West, Stinson Beach, ski trips, etc.)
- In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team on The Muse!
Back to top