Infrastructure Engineer (Product)
- a tech company changing the way the world reads
- a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, magazines, and sheet music
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the Team
We work on almost every part of Scribd's codebases, from product features used by our millions of users, to caching and storage abstractions used by the rest of our development team, to our state-of-the-art data processing infrastructure that powers our data-driven organization. Our core competency is Rails, and we contribute to every part of the application, but with a specific focus on modelling and managing the complex state that powers our business.
Our Rails application is one of the largest and oldest in the world, and we're at the front-lines of improving the core code that product features are built upon. In addition, we write the Go & Ruby that powers our distributed data pipeline, and some of the Spark jobs in Scala that run through that pipeline.
- Build the core Rails code that drives Scribd forward
- Improve a data processing pipeline that powers thousands of compute hours per week
- Co-ordinate with your peers in engineering, content, editorial and product to showcase the best content in the world
- Be a force multiplier through teaching and learning from your colleagues so that you and those around you continually improve.
We believe in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We're looking for engineers who share these views and are interested in contributing their knowledge, skills, and sound technical judgement to a growing engineering organization.
We're looking for engineers who can have a multiplicatively positive impact on our organization, someone who people want to work with, and someone who makes those around them better.
In return, we offer interesting problems, plenty of opportunity to influence key technical decisions, and a friendly working environment.
Specifically we’re looking for engineers with 3+ years of professional software development experience working with at least part of our tech stack, but not necessarily every piece
Our tools and technologies
- Ruby (our core codebase is Rails), but with projects in Go and Scala too
- MySQL (Percona), Redis, Memcache, Cassandra, HBase
- Hadoop, Hive and Spark, all fed via Kafka
Haven't worked with precisely the same set of technologies we use, but you've used something broadly similar? No problem! We're just as happy to talk Node or Postgres as we are to chat Rails.
Why we work here
- We are located in downtown San Francisco, just a few minutes’ walk from BART
- 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
- A budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
- We have a lot of trust with very little bureaucracy
- Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
- Coffee and tea runs every afternoon
- Apple laptops and Thunderbolt displays
- Company events that include monthly happy hours and offsites (past events include Safari West, Stinson Beach, ski trips, etc.)
- In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team on The Muse! https://www.themuse.com/companies/scribd
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance.
We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.
Meet Some of Scribd's Employees
From UI to animation, Paris builds, tests, and implements new mobile features before live launch on Scribd’s servers, providing readers and subscribers with a smooth experience.
Back to top