- a tech company changing the way the world reads
- a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, and sheet music
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the Team
We’re responsible for keeping Scribd up, responsive, and secure. Our duties include configuration management with Chef, wrestling with tricky Rails bugs, big-data cluster wrangling with Hadoop, mitigating the logo-branded vulnerability du jour, wearing a DBA hat to the InnoDB rodeo, bomb-proofing the mad science lab that is our codebase and, very occasionally, sweeping up the pieces when everything blows up. (We don’t let that last happen often.)
We work on almost every part of our application stack, from the servers and storage through the databases and caches to the application itself. We write code ourselves, including deep in the guts of our product, and developers also come to us for technical guidance. You’ll not simply operate the systems, but be part of the system-building process from the start. We’ve all seen the “worked in dev, ops problem now” meme and reject that world-view.
We believe in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We’re looking for engineers who share these views and are interested in contributing their knowledge, skills, and sound technical judgement to a growing engineering organization. In return, we offer interesting problems, plenty of opportunity to influence key technical decisions, and the chance to top the office pinball high score table.
Our tools and technologies
- Linux (primarily CentOS)
- Ruby (our core codebase is Rails), but with projects in Go and Scala too
- MySQL (Percona), HBase and Elasticsearch
- Hadoop, Hive and Spark, all fed via Kafka
- Nagios, Graphite and Grafana
- Nginx, HAProxy and Varnish, to serve our content to the wider world
Haven’t worked with precisely the same set of technologies we use, but you’ve used something broadly similar? No problem! We’re just as happy to talk FreeBSD or commiserate with your AIX and pains as we are to chat about CentOS.
About the Role
- Develop, operate, and troubleshoot the systems that keep Scribd alive and fast
- Build, maintain and extend our automation. Quelling robot uprisings strictly optional
- Pioneer, evaluate, and deploy new technologies for the entire engineering organization
- Work in partnership with your peers on the product engineering teams
- Be part of an on-call rotation with other members of the DevOps team
- Work independently within a team environment to prioritize workload
- Local candidates are great, but the DevOps team is open to remote candidates and those looking relocate
- 3-5+ years professional experience in an Engineering, Technical Operations, or DevOps role
- Professional experience with at least part of our tech stack, but not necessarily every piece
- We are located in downtown San Francisco, just a few minutes’ walk from BART
- 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
- We have a budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
- We have a lot of trust and very little bureaucracy
- Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
- Coffee and tea runs every afternoon
- Apple MacBook Pros, big screens, and your choice of input peripherals
- Standing desks, ergonomic seating, and a bright inviting office.
- Company events that include monthly happy hours and off-site retreats (past events include Safari West, Stinson Beach, ski trips, etc.)
Meet Some of Scribd's Employees
From UI to animation, Paris builds, tests, and implements new mobile features before live launch on Scribd’s servers, providing readers and subscribers with a smooth experience.
Back to top