- a tech company changing the way the world reads
- a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, comic books, and sheet music
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the Android Team
We’re a small team working on an app with 80mil active monthly users. You’ll work on everything from UI to API communication to database storage. We work together with teams across the company, including design, backend, and product, to make a solid app that our users love and use every day.
We believe in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We’re looking for engineers who share this view and are excited about writing quality code, trying new technologies, and playing well with others.
You’ll work on challenges including:
- Building a user interface that looks good and works well anywhere from the largest tablets to the smallest phones. Our users love to read on all their devices, and it’s our job to make their experience flawless at any size.
- Syncing data between our backend and our app’s database quickly and efficiently to keep the interface smooth and responsive.
- Building a full-featured offline reading experience so that users can read anytime, anywhere.
- Honoring best practices and encouraging maintainability (but we use interesting libraries like Rx Java when well suited)
- Pushing the platform to the limit, discovering and filing bugs with the Android Open Source Project
- Identifying the best third party libraries to get the job done but often we have to create home grown solutions-- our team has written our own logging system, bug tracking tools, and even threading annotations
- Writing elegant testable logic
- Extending components of the Android UI to meet our goals for the perfect interface
- There's no end to the interesting challenges when you're working on an app used by millions of users!
You’re a strong engineer who enjoys collaborating with different teams. You care about code review as both a chance to share your work and to learn from others. You focus on well-written, elegant solutions, not just the quick fix, and you never skimp on testing. You are always learning and always working to improve your craft.
Ideally you have:
- 2+ years of experience building Android apps
- Experience with JUnit or other testing frameworks
- Experience working on a shared codebase in a team environment
- Experience writing consistent, readable, and developer-friendly code.
- Expertise in building complex UI for multiple devices
- We are located in downtown San Francisco, just a few minutes’ walk from BART
- 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full time employees
- We have a small budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
- We have a lot of trust with very little bureaucracy
- Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
- Coffee and tea runs every afternoon
- Apple laptops and Thunderbolt displays
- Company events that include monthly happy hours and offsites (past events include Safari West, Stinson Beach, ski trips, etc.)
- In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team on The Muse!
Meet Some of Scribd's Employees
From UI to animation, Paris builds, tests, and implements new mobile features before live launch on Scribd’s servers, providing readers and subscribers with a smooth experience.
Back to top