Software Automation Engineer
Schoology is one of the fastest growing education technology companies, with millions of users across the world. We are giving educators all the tools they need to more easily personalize education and improve student outcomes, but in a way that works easily with their current systems and teaching approach. We've evolved the traditional learning management system into an education cloud: a platform that connects the people, content, and systems that fuel education.
Working at Schoology offers you a chance to help solve the most important challenges in education in an environment that's fun, collaborative and innovative. We are looking for smart, creative individuals who are passionate about education and aren't afraid to show it.
What can you expect working at Schoology?
Given our explosive 2x user growth each of the last few years, and our best-in-class retention, we're looking to add to our Automation & Tools Team.
Our team has ownership over automating testing of the Schoology Platform as well as management of our build & delivery tools. We integrate with our cross-functional development teams to provide expertise and guidance on how to best automate the testing, build, and delivery of their software.
Due to the nature of our team, we can’t expect everyone to be an expert in everything. Right now we are focused on adding another experienced Software Automation Engineer to help with our ever-expanding suite of automated tests. However, if you’ve either got experience managing and configuring build systems or want to learn, then this is a great opportunity to learn and be guided by an experienced team.
Some of the technologies we use:
We use several programming languages including PHP and Java. A lot of our test automation is written in the Codeception Framework using the Selenium Web driver.
Our build system relies on many of the tools from Atlassian including JIRA, Bitbucket, and Bamboo.
We are also heavily invested in the DevOps philosophy and make use of technologies like Docker, Terraform, and Chef. If you don’t know much about these right now, don’t worry, we love hiring smart people that are eager to learn.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- A solid grasp of web application architecture.
- Prior experience with automated testing using a modern framework
- Professional experience in a web application shop, especially in a "continuous deployment" environment.
- Familiarity with Git, or any other revision control system.
- Proficiency in PHP, Java, or any other modern programming language.
- Support and mentor developers across teams on the best way to automate testing of their software.
- Optimize and troubleshoot performance with our test suite and underlying framework.
- Participate in project based work across the organization, as both a contributor, as well as a collaborator bringing automation/development experience leadership to other teams.
- Work with the team to constantly re-evaluate where we are versus our goals and help drive decisions about the future of automation at Schoology.
- Help expand and support our continuous deployment pipeline.
Bonus points for:
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline.
- Experience as a manual QA tester.
- A self-starter who thrives in a fluid, fast-paced, evolving environment.
At Schoology, we are continuously advancing what is possible in education. You in?
Schoology is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity of every kind.
Meet Some of Schoology's Employees
Alex creates and refines Schoology’s client-specific website and applications, giving educators around the world flexibility and accessibility to quality interactive learning tools.
Back to top