Senior Product Operations Engineer (DevOps / SRE)
Schoology is one of the fastest growing education technology companies, with more than 17 million users across the world. We are giving educators all the tools they need to more easily personalize education and improve student outcomes, but in a way that works easily with their current systems and teaching approach. We’ve evolved the traditional learning management system into an education cloud: a platform that connects the people, content, and systems that fuel education.
Working at Schoology offers you a chance to help solve the most important challenges in education in an environment that’s fun, collaborative and innovative. We are looking for smart, creative individuals who are passionate about education and aren't afraid to show it.
What can you expect working at Schoology?
Given our explosive 2x user growth each of the last few years, and our best-in-class retention, we’re looking to add to our Product Operations team (aka DevOps). Since we expect that growth to continue in to 2017, you’ll help us first scale our existing infrastructure.
Equally as important, we’ll look to you to help us balance working with our existing technologies/infrastructure and move forward with new technologies that support our award-winning platform, Schoology.
Our plan is to move to a more supportable PaaS infrastructure where developers own their code as it goes out into production, and you’ll play a central part in making that happen.
You won’t do this on your own. As an Operations Engineer, you’ll be working with a team of engineers with a diverse skill set to deliver software in a measurable, reliable way, as well as help build a resilient, monitor-able, scalable platform.
That passion for MySQL performance optimization, as well as teaching others how to think operationally? That’s us.
We like the DevOps philosophy here! Collaboration and a common goal align us to deliver a pleasant experience, both for our customers, as well as the development team we’re all a part of.
Some of the technologies we use:
Data layers? How about MySQL, MongoDB, Cassandra, and Redis.
Chef, Docker, Bamboo, Git.
Python, Ruby, and Bash for automation, deployment, and configuration management.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- A solid grasp of web application architecture.
- Professional experience in a web application shop, especially in a "continuous deployment" environment.
- Familiarity with Git, or any other revision control system.
- AWS experience, beyond just EC2. We use ECS, Kinesis, S3, SWF, Redshift, and CloudFormation.
- Proficiency in ruby, python, or any other interpreted scripting language.
- Experience with containerization. We use Docker. Bonus points for experience in any of the modern container orchestration frameworks, such as Kubernetes.
- Support and manage our AWS based infrastructure, from web and data layers in both VMs and containers, to security groups, VPCs, load balancers, autoscaling, and cloudformation.
- Optimize and troubleshoot performance issues for our databases, which include MySQL, Redis, MongoDB and Cassandra.
- Participate in project based work across the organization, as both a contributor, as well as a collaborator bringing operational experience leadership to other teams.
- Work on our Chef infrastructure, writing cookbooks, and providing code reviews.
- Automate! We work in python and ruby and bash, primarily.
- Provide operational support to our SaaS platform, helping to troubleshoot our platform, as well as participate in a 24x7 on call rotation.
- Help expand and support our continuous deployment pipeline.
Bonus points for:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline.
- Experience in any of the modern container orchestration frameworks, such as Kubernetes.
- Recent experience supporting a SaaS platform, trading desk or an online broker.
- A self-starter who thrives in a fluid, fast-paced, evolving environment.
At Schoology, we are continuously advancing what is possible in education. You in?
Schoology is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity of every kind.
Meet Some of Schoology's Employees
Regional Sales Director
Working with all departments across the company, Public School Districts administrations, and teachers—Zach enterprisingly grows Schoology's sales in the North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.
Back to top